General formula for an angled ellipsoid

In summary, when dealing with angled ellipsoids, it is important to consider the orientation of the ellipsoid and to use a rotation matrix to transform coordinates into a new coordinate system for easier calculations.
AntStrike

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm writing a simple geophysics program in Fortran77.
I'm trying to determine if a point (h,k,m) is within an angled ellipsoid.
Theoretically I know the semi-axes of the ellipsoid (a,b,c), the value of the point (h,k,m), the azimuth (∅, +ve from the Y axis, 0≤∅<180°), the dip (β, +ve from the xy plane - for now, 0≤β≤90°) and the center of the ellipsoid (x,y,z).
What I'm trying to determine is a formula which ties these all together. I've started developing one from what I know of angled ellipses.

Homework Equations

Let ∅ = 0, β = 0
x^2/b^2 + y^2/a^2 + z^2/c^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

When angled this means:
Let β = 0
((x-h)sin∅ + (y-k)cos∅)^2 / a^2 + ((x-h)cos∅ + (y-k)sin∅)^2 / b^2 + z^2/c^2 = 1

OR let ∅ = 0

((y-k)cosβ + (z-m)sinβ)^2 / a^2 + ((y-k)sinβ + (z-m)cosβ)^2 / c^2 + x^2/b^2 = 1

∴ ((y-k)sinβ + (z-m)cosβ)^2 / c^2 + ((x-h)cos∅ + (y-k)sin∅)^2 / b^2 + ((x-h)sin∅ + (y-k)cos∅ + (y-k)cosβ + (z-m)sinβ) ^2 / a^2 = 1 ?

I don't think the formula above is right as it doesn't seem to account for the change in x when the ellipsoid is angled and tilted. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress and seeking input from the community. Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few things that you may want to consider.

Firstly, when dealing with angled ellipsoids, it is important to take into account the orientation of the ellipsoid with respect to the coordinate system. This means that the semi-axes of the ellipsoid may not necessarily be aligned with the x, y, and z axes. Therefore, it may be helpful to define the semi-axes in terms of their components along the x, y, and z axes (e.g. a = a_x, b = b_y, c = c_z).

Additionally, when determining if a point is within an angled ellipsoid, it may be easier to first transform the coordinates of the point and the center of the ellipsoid into a new coordinate system where the ellipsoid is aligned with the x, y, and z axes. This can be done using a rotation matrix, which can be constructed using the azimuth and dip angles. Once the coordinates are transformed, the formula for a non-angled ellipsoid (x^2/a_x^2 + y^2/b_y^2 + z^2/c_z^2 = 1) can be used to determine if the point is within the transformed ellipsoid.

I hope this helps and good luck with your program!

Related to General formula for an angled ellipsoid

1. What is the general formula for an angled ellipsoid?

The general formula for an angled ellipsoid is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1, where a, b, and c represent the semi-major, semi-minor, and semi-intermediate axes, respectively.

2. How is the general formula for an angled ellipsoid derived?

The general formula for an angled ellipsoid is derived from the equation of a standard ellipsoid (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1 by applying a rotation matrix to the coordinates.

3. What does each variable in the general formula for an angled ellipsoid represent?

The variables a, b, and c represent the semi-major, semi-minor, and semi-intermediate axes, respectively. These axes determine the shape and size of the ellipsoid.

4. Can the general formula for an angled ellipsoid be used to model real-world objects?

Yes, the general formula for an angled ellipsoid can be used to model real-world objects such as planets, eggs, and rocks. This formula is commonly used in geodesy, geophysics, and cartography.

5. Are there any limitations to the general formula for an angled ellipsoid?

One limitation of the general formula for an angled ellipsoid is that it assumes a perfect ellipsoidal shape, which may not accurately represent irregularly-shaped objects. Additionally, this formula does not take into account external forces or deformations that may affect the shape of the ellipsoid.