General Engineering Major Discussion

In summary, the speaker is a graduating senior in high school from NY who will be attending a liberal arts college in NH. Though they are interested in engineering, they are unsure of which specific major to pursue and are seeking advice from others. Their academic strengths are in physics, math, and chemistry, and they are considering majors in ECE, ME, or CE with a biochemical focus. Their ultimate goal is to work for a national research group, big tech/science company, or the government, with the dream of starting their own startup. They are advised to start with a major in mechanical engineering and minor in electrical engineering, and to focus on their core courses in physics, calculus, and chemistry in their freshman year before deciding on a specific
stephenmalina
Hi, I'm a graduating senior in high school in NY. I'm going to be attending a mostly liberal arts college in NH next year; but I will most likely major in one type of engineering. My engineering interests include AI, cloud computing, semiconductors, energy storage systems (ultracapacitors, batteries, etc.), bioengineering, biomaterials, and flight. Obviously, these interests are varied and also fall under ideal and far-out research areas. So I was hoping some of you could help me decide or even just get a better sense of which majors encompass what and why you like the engineering major or other major you pursued. My academic strengths/interests are physics, math, and chemistry, and this summer I will be taking a computer programming course to prepare for college. Also, I am interested in pursuing a major in either ECE, ME, or CE (with a biochemical focus) and having a career with a national research group, big tech / science company (intel, GE GRC, nvidia, pfizer, etc.), or the government (with the ultimate goal of starting my own start-up). I know this is a lot too handle and clearly I have ambitious (maybe overly ambitious) aspirations, but any tips, ideas, or experience would be extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Based on what you said, I would start your freshman year with a major in mechanical engineering and minor in electrical engineering.

Hit your freshman physics, calculus, and chemistry hard and get the best grades you can. After your freshman year, you could stay in mechanical engineering or change to electrical engineering with not much impact.

Related to General Engineering Major Discussion

1. What is a general engineering major?

A general engineering major is a broad field of study that covers the fundamentals of various engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. It provides students with a strong foundation in math, science, and problem-solving skills that can be applied to a wide range of engineering fields.

2. What are the job prospects for general engineering majors?

The job prospects for general engineering majors are very promising. With a solid understanding of the core principles and skills of engineering, graduates can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, energy, aerospace, and more. Additionally, many companies value the versatility of general engineering majors and their ability to adapt to different roles and projects.

3. Is a general engineering major a good choice for someone who is unsure of which specific engineering field they want to pursue?

Yes, a general engineering major is a great option for students who are unsure of which specific engineering field they want to pursue. This major allows students to explore different disciplines and gain a broad understanding of engineering before deciding on a specialization. It also provides a strong foundation that can be applied to various engineering fields.

4. What skills do general engineering majors develop?

General engineering majors develop a variety of skills that are essential for a successful career in engineering. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical reasoning, technical writing, teamwork, and communication skills. They also gain proficiency in various software programs and tools used in engineering, such as CAD and MATLAB.

5. Are there any specific courses that are required for a general engineering major?

The specific courses required for a general engineering major may vary depending on the university or program. However, most programs will include courses in math, physics, chemistry, and introductory engineering courses. Students may also have the option to choose elective courses in different engineering disciplines to further tailor their education.