General Engineering Dimensional Analysis

In summary: Third, the dimensions of mass, length, and time should not play a role in solving for the EXPonents in this problem.
Mikesgto
The period T of a pendulum of length L, mass m in a gravitational field g ms-2 is suspected to be a function of L, m and g. If it is postulated that
T=KLxmygz
where K is a dimensionless constant, use dimensional analysis to obtain the constants x, y and z.

There's only one pi group I came up with and that was g/(T2L)

other than that, I can't figure out how to begin this problem in a way that will give me an opportunity to solve for the three exponents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikesgto said:
The period T of a pendulum of length L, mass m in a gravitational field g ms-2 is suspected to be a function of L, m and g. If it is postulated that
T=KLxmygz
where K is a dimensionless constant, use dimensional analysis to obtain the constants x, y and z.

There's only one pi group I came up with and that was g/(T2L)

other than that, I can't figure out how to begin this problem in a way that will give me an opportunity to solve for the three exponents.

Start by writing out the dimensions (mass, length, time) of each of the physical quantities involved.

Ok so perhaps my attempt wasn't completely written above. I wrote down all the units, namely meters, m/s^2 for gravity and kg for mass. That's the only pi group I can think of but then I can't figure out the steps to solve for 3 individual exponents.

how about for T?

Well T=1/s which is included in my original Pi group of g/(T^2*L). But once I have one pi group, which is all I can have because I have 4 variables and only 3 basic dimensions, how do I go about relating that to solving for the variables?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mass should not play a factor in pendulum swings. And should I use the pendulum period equation from basic physics, neglecting drag etc.?

Ok, first of all, what is a "Pi group"?

Second, your dimension (unit) for the PERIOD T is incorrect?

Related to General Engineering Dimensional Analysis

What is dimensional analysis in general engineering?

Dimensional analysis in general engineering is a mathematical technique used to relate physical quantities and their units. It involves converting a given quantity into its fundamental dimensions and then using these dimensions to derive relationships between different quantities. It is commonly used to verify equations and to convert between different units of measurement.

Why is dimensional analysis important in general engineering?

Dimensional analysis is important in general engineering because it allows engineers to check the validity of equations and make predictions about physical systems. It also enables engineers to convert between different units of measurement, which is crucial for accurate and consistent communication within the field.

What are the steps involved in dimensional analysis?

The steps involved in dimensional analysis include: identifying the physical quantities involved in the problem, listing their units of measurement, converting the units to their fundamental dimensions, setting up an equation relating the quantities, and solving for the unknown quantity. It is also important to check the dimensions on both sides of the equation to ensure they are consistent.

How is dimensional analysis used in real-world engineering problems?

Dimensional analysis is commonly used in real-world engineering problems to check the validity of equations and to convert between different units of measurement. It is also used to determine the relationship between different physical quantities, which can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of systems in various conditions.

What are some common applications of dimensional analysis in engineering?

Some common applications of dimensional analysis in engineering include: calculating fluid flow rates, determining the efficiency of heat exchangers, analyzing structural stresses, and designing electrical circuits. It is also used in fields such as aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and structural engineering to solve complex problems and optimize designs.