Rayleigh method Dimensional Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses dimensional analysis and how to show a specific equation using the Rayleigh method. The conversation also explains the purpose of the constant "c" and how it relates to the desired equation. It is concluded that the equation can be shown by rearranging the terms and using the constant "c".
williamcarter

Homework Statement

rayleigh.JPG

ii)Rayleigh method gives me inverse of expected result.Would really appreciate your help.

Homework Equations

show that ##f(gamma)##=##(\frac {ro*R^5} {E*t^2})##
where ro=density
R=radius
E=energy

The Attempt at a Solution

We will do dimensional analysis on the elements ro,R,E
ro=kg/m^3=M*L-3
R=m=L
E=J=N*m=##\frac {kg*m} {s^2}*m##=M*L2*T-2

Now we say that gamma=C*roa*Rb*Ec*td (eq1)
where C=constant, a,b,c,d=yet other constants
Now we do dimensional analysis on eq(1)
M0*L0*T0=C*(M*L-3)a*(L)b*(M*L2*T-2)c*(T)d
now M:0=a+c =>a= -c
L:0=-3a+b+2c =>b= -5c
T:0= -2c+d =>d=2c
c=c
We wrote everything in terms of constant c.
Now we substitute back those constant in eq(q)
=>gamma=ro-c*R-5c*Ec*t2c

We rearrange => ##gamma##=##(\frac {E*t^2} {ro*R^5})##c

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what exactly I did wrong because it seems I get 1/expected result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says it's 1/expected result?

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
Who says it's 1/expected result?
Thank you for your prompt answer.
Well if c= -1 then I would get ##gamma##=##(\frac {ro*R^5} {E*t^2})## which they asked me to show.

c doesn't have to be -1. You showed that ##\left(\frac {Et^2} {\rho R^5}\right)^c=g(\gamma)##, not necessarily ##\gamma##. So, $$\frac{\rho R^5}{Et^2}=[g(\gamma )]^{-1/c}=f(\gamma )$$which is all you were asked to show.

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
c doesn't have to be -1. You showed that ##\left(\frac {Et^2} {\rho R^5}\right)^c=g(\gamma)##, not necessarily ##\gamma##. So, $$\frac{\rho R^5}{Et^2}=[g(\gamma )]^{-1/c}=f(\gamma )$$which is all you were asked to show.
Thank you, now is clear

Related to Rayleigh method Dimensional Analysis

What is the Rayleigh method of dimensional analysis?

The Rayleigh method of dimensional analysis is a technique used in physics and engineering to analyze the relationships between various physical quantities. It involves using the principles of dimensional analysis to determine the functional relationship between different variables in an equation.

How does the Rayleigh method differ from other methods of dimensional analysis?

The Rayleigh method differs from other methods of dimensional analysis in that it focuses on the functional relationship between variables, rather than just determining the units of a particular quantity. This can provide more insight into the underlying physical principles at work.

What are the benefits of using the Rayleigh method?

The Rayleigh method can provide a more general and simplified understanding of complex physical systems. It can also help identify key variables and relationships between them, making it useful in problem-solving and experimental design.

What are the limitations of the Rayleigh method?

One limitation of the Rayleigh method is that it assumes a linear relationship between variables, which may not always hold true. It also cannot account for all possible variables and may not provide a complete understanding of a system.

How is the Rayleigh method applied in real-world situations?

The Rayleigh method is used in a variety of fields, including fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and thermodynamics, to analyze and model physical systems. It is also commonly used in the design and optimization of engineering systems and experiments.