General calculus required for AP/college physics problems?

In summary: Once you have those down, you can start working on more complex problems involving derivatives and integrals.
Jewish_Vulcan
I am supposed to take calculus next school year but I want to do some physics work over the summer. Can anyone provide me the the most common calculus problems in physics? I was thinking that derrivatives, integrals, limits, and infinate series would be the main ones but I am likely wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically the first bit of calculus one sees in physics is in kinematics. Namely, the question of how to find a position function given a constant acceleration, knowing that acceleration is the second derivative of the displacement (with the velocity being the second derivative). After that, you can use calculus to find the work done by a varying force, it can be used in potential energy calculations (particularly when dealing with Newtonian gravitation). But I'm not so sure calculus is used that often in an introductory course in physics. It is used to prove certain things or to derive equations, but students typically don't see that many problems actually involving calculus. There are a lot of free body diagrams and energy calculations, but calculus only shows up in the less-than-ideal problems.

An example of its use to derive something is, for example, the position function given a constant acceleration. Given [tex]\frac{d^2 s}{dt^2} = a[/tex] and the initial values [itex]s(0) = s_0[/itex] and [itex]s'(0) = v(0) = v_0[/itex], we can integrate twice to get [tex]s = \frac{1}{2}at^2 + v_0 t + s_0[/tex] But this is merely to derive the formula, and unless you really hate memorizing formulas, it's not typically done more than once.

Likes Jewish_Vulcan
Learn how to take a derivative inside and out.
Beyond basic derivatives and integration techniques you won't need much in a first semester physics course. It is of course, to your advantage to get a head and I suggest learning intimately the kinematic equations posted earlier and how they are derived. How the derivative of the position function is the velocity and the derivative of the velocity function is acceleration.

RJLiberator Agree
Firest you have to start from derivation and integration, then move to more complex problems

Likes RJLiberator
Yes. 100% agreed. To me, differentiation and integration is like the 'addition and subtraction' of calculus.

Related to General calculus required for AP/college physics problems?

1. What is calculus and why is it important for physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is an essential tool for understanding the fundamental principles of physics, as it allows us to model and analyze complex systems and their behavior over time.

2. What are the main concepts of calculus that are used in physics?

The main concepts of calculus that are used in physics include derivatives, integrals, limits, and differential equations. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion, forces, and energy of objects in the physical world.

3. How is calculus used in solving AP/college physics problems?

Calculus is used in solving AP/college physics problems by allowing us to model and analyze real-world situations in terms of mathematical equations. This enables us to make predictions and solve problems related to motion, forces, and energy.

4. Do all physics problems require calculus to solve?

No, not all physics problems require calculus to solve. Some problems can be solved using basic algebra and trigonometry. However, calculus is necessary for solving more complex and dynamic problems that involve changing rates and quantities.

5. How can I improve my calculus skills for solving physics problems?

To improve your calculus skills for solving physics problems, it is important to practice regularly and understand the fundamental concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions to strengthen your understanding of calculus in the context of physics.