Gene mapping - what of combinatorics?

In summary, the human genome is more or less mapped, but we don't know enough to predict how a human organism develops. We need to research how the different letters of DNA are combined and how they interact.
Tsunami
Hey,

so in 2003, it was announced that the human genome was more or less mapped. The difference between individual humans is about 0.2 percent of the 3 000 000 000 genes we have. So somehow, this percentage should account for all of the human variations that aren't dependent on environment. At least, that's a way of thinking. However.

By mapping genes, I think we do not know enough to predict how a human organism develops - even when we exclude all environmental influences. I think that we forget that DNA is a code, and that this code needs to be read by something, and that this reading happens according to certain rules. The different letters of DNA have to be combined in a certain way, in order to obtain meaningful instructions.

So, what I'm wondering is: how are these letters, these elements, combined? How do they interact? Is there any way this has been researched ; is there even a theory imaginable to research this?

I think it's perfectly imaginable that an instruction A and an instruction B present in a DNA code, can interact in a number of ways: they can reinforce each other, they can annihilate each other, and they can even cooperate to form an emergent expression, so the two operations cannot be independently distinguished in the fenotype.

But I know nothing of biology. The main reason why I say this, is because now that people are talking about brain mapping, it seems very easy to state that once this is done, we'll know everything of the brain. But as long as no method is possible to research interactions of information carrying data (be it letters, neurons, or gene cells), we know, essentially, nothing that's reliable.

Biology news on Phys.org
Tsunami said:
So, what I'm wondering is: how are these letters, these elements, combined? How do they interact? Is there any way this has been researched ; is there even a theory imaginable to research this?
This is very basic biology: a gene is trancribed from DNA to RNA and then the RNA is translated into a protein. But I think you are asking how genes interact and how we can predict that?
You can do interaction mapping, where you look which proteins are able to bind each other. If they bind this might have a function, if they don't bind then there is no direct interaction. They currently are making such interaction maps.

The "Universal Genetic Code is a 3X3X3 array giving each ordered triple of bases and the corresponding amino acid or sytactical function it represents. I believe all the known DNA from every species follows this assignment rule.

You have to allow for the complementarity between the base pairs that allows one string of the double helix to mimic the other so that when they split during cell division, each one carries the same information, but coded in strings of complementary bases.

Related to Gene mapping - what of combinatorics?

1. What is gene mapping?

Gene mapping is the process of determining the location and order of genes on a chromosome. It involves identifying the specific DNA sequences that make up a gene and determining their physical location on the chromosome.

2. How is gene mapping used in combinatorics?

Gene mapping is used in combinatorics to study the possible combinations of genes and their effects on an organism. By understanding the location and order of genes, combinatorics can help scientists predict the inheritance patterns of certain traits.

3. What techniques are used in gene mapping?

There are several techniques used in gene mapping, including linkage mapping, physical mapping, and comparative mapping. Linkage mapping uses genetic markers to determine the relative location of genes on a chromosome. Physical mapping involves directly analyzing the DNA sequence to determine the exact location of a gene. Comparative mapping compares the genomes of different species to identify similarities and differences in gene location.

4. What are the benefits of gene mapping?

Gene mapping has several benefits, including helping scientists understand the genetic basis of diseases and traits, identifying potential genetic markers for screening and diagnosis, and aiding in the development of gene therapies and treatments for genetic disorders.

5. What are the limitations of gene mapping?

Gene mapping is limited by the complexity of the human genome, which contains about 3 billion base pairs of DNA. This makes it difficult to accurately map all genes and their interactions. Additionally, gene mapping alone cannot fully explain the inheritance of complex traits, as environmental and other factors also play a role.