Gearing Down A High Speed Input (>10K RPM)

In summary, the physical size, power level, gear ratio and peak torque are all reasonable given what is commercially available. However, the highest input speed that I have seen on a gearbox is 10K RPM. So far the only gearbox that meets all the requirements is a G10 and G12 gearbox, but they are unlikely to be able to handle the torque levels I require.
Krast
Hello All,

I am trying to find a combination of gearing technologies to satisfy the below design challenge. I don't see a commercially available solution; I am hoping you might be able to help me understand what physical effects make this design problem hard, and propose solutions worth looking into.
  • They system must provide 129 oz in of peak torque.
  • The system must be less than 50mm in diameter, preferably less than 42mm.
  • The system's input will be one of two motors, both of which are in the 200-300 watt power range
    • Motor A provides peak torque of 6.212 oz in. Motor A 's no load speed is 37.7k RPM.
    • Motor B has similar peak torque but a 50k RPM no load speed.
  • The system should attain the highest top speed possible while also meeting all the above specs.
  • If possible, the gearing system will introduce a 45-90 degree turn away from the motor axis.
This implies a ~24:1 reduction. This system is only run for a few minutes at a time if that helps.

So far it seems to me that the physical size, power level, gear ratio and peak torque are all reasonable given what is commercially available. There are many two stage planetary gearboxes that would meet all the requirements, except the very high input speed. So far the highest input speed I have seen on a gearbox is 10K RPM.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Krast said:
So far the highest input speed I have seen on a gearbox is 10K RPM.

Pittman seems to reference a G10 and G12 gearbox for very high speed motors in this chart: http://www.pittman-motors.com/Portals/0/pittman_dc_motor_configuration_options.pdf but those gearboxes don't appear to be listed in any of their catalogs/website and they are likely unable to handle the torque levels I require.

Also as an anecdote, RC cars use motors very similar (perhaps even identical) to the ones I must use. RC cars get away with a pinion and spur arrangement. How do they get away with that? Is my solution as simple as adding a pinion/spur before some sort of off the shelf planetary gearbox.

Related to Gearing Down A High Speed Input (>10K RPM)

What is the purpose of gearing down a high speed input?

Gearing down a high speed input involves reducing the rotational speed of the input and increasing the torque output. This is typically done in applications where the high speed input would cause excessive wear and tear or damage to the components.

What are the factors to consider when gearing down a high speed input?

The factors to consider include the desired output speed and torque, the gear ratio, the type and quality of gears used, the input and output shaft sizes, and the overall efficiency of the gearing system.

What are the potential risks of gearing down a high speed input?

The main risk is a decrease in efficiency, as some energy will be lost in the gear reduction process. There is also a risk of gear damage or failure if the system is not properly designed or maintained.

How can the efficiency of a gearing system be improved?

The efficiency of a gearing system can be improved by using high-quality gears with precise manufacturing, reducing friction between the gears, and properly lubricating the system. Additionally, selecting the correct gear ratio and minimizing the number of gears in the system can also improve efficiency.

Is there a maximum limit to how much a high speed input can be geared down?

There is no specific maximum limit, but the gear reduction should be carefully selected to avoid excessive strain on the gears and other components. Additionally, the output torque and speed should be within the capabilities of the output shaft and any connected equipment.