GE Dielektrol Capacitor Popping Sound While Charging

In summary, the user thinks they may have a dielectric failure within the capacitor, and they need to contact GE to find out more.
workinprogres
Hey everyone, so I just bought a used GE Dielektrol capacitor rated at 40,000 volts and 1.85 microfarads, and while I'm charging it up there is a popping sound that appears to be coming from inside the capacitor. It only occurs at voltages over about 2000 volts and only while the capacitor is charging. As soon as I disconnect one of the charging wires it goes silent. I'm using a neon sign transformer driven by a variac and run through a bridge rectifier consisting of 12 kv diodes so there is a ground potential from the charging wires but I don't know if this would have anything to do with it. The capacitor holds a charge and has no problems discharging. Also the capacitance has also decreased since I bought it from 1.88 to about 1.54 but I think that may be due to temperature because it's been in my near freezing garage for a day but before it was kept at room temperature (about 70 degrees). I'm a little scared the the dielectric might be failing but I don't really know. Any advice would be helpful, Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you're right to be concerned - could something be delaminating within the cap? I'd contact GE directly and try to find someone knowledgeable on that design. Don't forget that some HV caps, even when you think they are fully shorted, will 'self charge' to some intermediate voltage. (I had a nasty shock one time...). Make sure both electrodes are shorted to each other and Earth ground to safe them.

I sure hope the cap isn't falling apart inside. I'm probably going to call G.E. tomorrow but in the mean time I've brought the cap back inside to see if the capacitance will go back up. Hopefully it will or otherwise I've got even more problems. I'm wondering if maybe the dielectric inside is changing volume with the temperature and moving the conductive plates around or letting holes form or maybe even not absorbing into the dielectric material. And thanks for the tip on HV caps charging themselves with a ground potential! I never would have thought that that might happen but now that I think about it the Earth would make quite the capacitor :)

After making a few calls and some experimentation it turns out I couldn't just use the NST's current limiting and needed a charging resistor.

Good to hear. Make sure you have not damaged the cap - I'd recommend shielding it with
something to stop shrapnel if it decides to dump all its energy with an internal short...

Related to GE Dielektrol Capacitor Popping Sound While Charging

What is a GE Dielektrol Capacitor?

A GE Dielektrol Capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in an electric field. It is commonly used in electrical circuits to regulate the flow of current and provide stability to the system.

Why does a GE Dielektrol Capacitor make a popping sound while charging?

The popping sound is caused by a phenomenon known as dielectric breakdown. When the capacitor is charging, the electric field between its plates becomes very strong, causing the dielectric material in between to break down and produce a popping sound.

Is the popping sound while charging a GE Dielektrol Capacitor dangerous?

In most cases, the popping sound is not dangerous. However, it can be an indication of a malfunctioning capacitor or improper use of the capacitor. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's guidelines for safe operation.

Can a GE Dielektrol Capacitor continue to function after making a popping sound while charging?

In some cases, the capacitor may continue to function normally after making a popping sound while charging. However, it is important to inspect the capacitor for any damage and replace it if necessary to prevent further malfunctions.

How can I prevent a GE Dielektrol Capacitor from making a popping sound while charging?

To prevent the popping sound, it is important to use the capacitor within its rated voltage and temperature limits. Make sure to properly discharge the capacitor before handling it and avoid overcharging it. It is also recommended to use high-quality capacitors from reputable manufacturers.