GCSE Choices (UK) for career in Pathology

In summary, the person's son is choosing GCSEs and is interested in a career in Pathology. The compulsory subjects of Maths and English are already chosen, and he has also chosen Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. The individual is seeking advice on what other four subjects would be suitable for this career. The person's son also enjoys Art and Drama and wishes to take these as well. It is suggested that as long as he gets good grades in the required subjects, the other subjects do not matter as much. It may be beneficial to contact the local Further Education college for more information. After contacting the college, it was found that good grades in Triple Science, English, and Maths are required for A Levels, as well as Chemistry and
cobalt124
My son is currently choosing his GCSEs and his current chosen career is Pathology. Maths and English aside as they are compulsory he has chosen Chemistry, Physics and Biology and has four other subjects to choose. Does anyone have any advice on what these four subjects should be for his chosen career? He loves Art and Drama and wishes to fill two slots with these subjects. Would this be an impedance? Are there any subjects that are a must?

Physics news on Phys.org
cobalt124 said:
My son is currently choosing his GCSEs and his current chosen career is Pathology. Maths and English aside as they are compulsory he has chosen Chemistry, Physics and Biology and has four other subjects to choose. Does anyone have any advice on what these four subjects should be for his chosen career? He loves Art and Drama and wishes to fill two slots with these subjects. Would this be an impedance? Are there any subjects that are a must?
Basically, as long as he gets good enough grades to get into Sixth Form/Further Education in the Sciences, English and Maths, then it doesn't matter what the rest are. Something like physical education may be beneficial for the theory aspects, but at GCSE level it doesn't really matter. For further information, it may be worth contacting your local FE college to ask them what requirements he would need for the relevant course.

Thanks for the advice. I contacted our local college and, as you say, good GCSE passes required in Triple Science, English and Maths, when it comes to A Levels, good passes required in Chemistry and Biology and any other subject, which was a surprise to me. Anyhow, he submitted his options yesterday including Art and Drama. Just hope the timetabling allows it now.

Related to GCSE Choices (UK) for career in Pathology

1. What is the minimum requirement for GCSE choices for a career in Pathology?

The minimum requirement for GCSE choices for a career in Pathology varies depending on the specific university or program you are applying to. However, most universities require a minimum of five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English, Maths, and Science subjects. It is always best to check with the specific university or program for their specific requirements.

2. Are there any specific GCSE subjects that are recommended for a career in Pathology?

While there are no specific GCSE subjects that are required for a career in Pathology, it is recommended to take science subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. These subjects will provide a strong foundation for further studies in Pathology and will also be beneficial for understanding the concepts and theories in this field.

3. Can I still pursue a career in Pathology if I did not take any science subjects in my GCSEs?

It is still possible to pursue a career in Pathology if you did not take any science subjects in your GCSEs. However, it may be more challenging as you may need to take additional courses or qualifications to fulfill the science requirements for university admission. It is recommended to speak with a career advisor or contact the specific university or program for guidance on how to fulfill the science requirements.

4. Are there any work experience opportunities available for GCSE students interested in a career in Pathology?

Yes, there are work experience opportunities available for GCSE students interested in a career in Pathology. Many hospitals and laboratories offer work experience programs for students interested in the field of Pathology. It is also beneficial to reach out to local Pathology departments or professionals to inquire about shadowing or volunteering opportunities.

5. What are some potential career options in Pathology after completing GCSEs?

There are various career options in Pathology after completing GCSEs, including becoming a biomedical scientist, histopathology technician, clinical scientist, or diagnostic radiographer. With further education and training, you could also become a pathologist, forensic scientist, or research scientist. It is recommended to research the different career paths and speak with a career advisor to determine which path may be best suited for your interests and goals.