GCD of a & b in Ring R: Unique or Not?

• Thread starter rourky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the conversation discussed the definition and existence of the greatest common divisor (GCD) in rings. It was mentioned that GCDs exist in Euclidean domains but not in rings in general, and when they do exist, they are not unique. Different definitions of GCD were also presented, including the generator of the ideal (a,b) and the product of prime factors with minimum exponents. It was concluded that the uniqueness of GCD depends on the definition used and the presence of units in the ring.
rourky
1. I am just looking for a defn, I can't find it on the net:
Given a ring R, a, b elements of R, (a?) gcd(a,b) is defined to be?

3. I am guessing that if d/a and d/b and for any other e such that e/a and e/b we have e/d, then d is (a?) gcd of a and b. Is this correct, and is d THE unique gcd? My guess is based mostly on the definition of a ("a", may not be unique) gcd(B), B any subset of R.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GreatestCommonDivisor.html

I'm not sure that gcd is well-defined for rings. For example, the real numbers are a ring and it's very difficult to come up with anything sensible for, say, the greatest common divisor of [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]e[/itex].

Perhaps there's something missing?

GCDs exist in Euclidean domains (i.e. places where you can do the euclidean algorithm) for example, but not rings in general. GCDs, when they exist, are never unique: they are only defined up to multiplication by a unit.

If you have a PID (euclidean domains are a subset of PIDs), then gcd(a,b) is the/a generator of the ideal (a,b) (which exists since ideals are principal).

Last edited:
matt grime said:
GCDs exist in Euclidean domains (i.e. places where you can do the euclidean algorithm) for example, but not rings in general. GCDs, when they exist, are never unique: they are only defined up to multiplication by a unit.

If you have a PID (euclidean domains are a subset of PIDs), then gcd(a,b) is the/a generator of the ideal (a,b) (which exists since ideals are principal).

Well, it depends on your definition of GCD. For any ring which has unique prime decompositions, so for any elements of the ring, [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], we have:
[tex]a=\prod p_i^{a_i}[/tex]
and
[tex]b=\prod p_i^{b_i}[/tex]
The GCD can be defined as:
[tex]\rm{GCD}(a,b)=\prod p_i^{\rm{min}(a_i,b_i)}[/tex]

Last edited:
I don't see how anything 'depends on your definition of GCD'.

matt grime said:
I don't see how anything 'depends on your definition of GCD'.

Well [itex]\rm{GCD}(a,b)=\prod p_i^{\rm{min}(a_i,b_i)}[/itex] gives a unique GCD. While defining the GCD as a generator of the of the ideal [itex]<a,b>[/itex] may not.

No, it doesn't give any uniqueness. If p is a prime, so is up for any unit u. Prime decomposition is only unique up to re-ordering and units. Your GCD is only defined up to associates, just like any other GCD. The only reason we think GCD is unique in Z, is because we have the > relation, and think that 'greatest' means 'largest in value'.

Last edited:

Related to GCD of a & b in Ring R: Unique or Not?

1. What is the GCD of two numbers in a ring?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) of two numbers in a ring is the largest number that divides both numbers without leaving a remainder.

2. Is the GCD unique in a ring?

No, the GCD may not be unique in a ring. In certain rings, there may be multiple numbers that can serve as the GCD for a given pair of numbers. However, in certain other rings, the GCD may be unique.

3. What determines if the GCD is unique in a ring?

The existence and uniqueness of the GCD in a ring is determined by the ring's properties. Rings that have the property of being a Euclidean domain or a principal ideal domain have unique GCDs, while rings that are not Euclidean or principal ideal domains may have non-unique GCDs.

4. How do you find the GCD of two numbers in a ring?

To find the GCD of two numbers in a ring, you can use the Euclidean algorithm. This involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder as the new divisor. The process continues until a remainder of 0 is reached, and the last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

5. Can the GCD of two numbers in a ring be 0?

Yes, the GCD of two numbers in a ring can be 0. This occurs when one or both of the numbers are 0, as 0 is a common divisor of all numbers. In this case, the GCD is also known as the greatest common factor (GCF) or highest common factor (HCF).