Gay-Lussac's Law of combining volumes

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Volumes
In summary, 50 cm^3 of nitrogen combine with 150 cm^3 of hydrogen gas to form 100 cm^3 of ammonia, which agrees with Gay-Lussac's law of combining volumes. This law states that the ratio of molecules in a chemical reaction corresponds to the ratio of volumes of gases involved. In this case, the ratio of molecules in the reaction is 1:3:2, which is the same as the ratio of volumes of gases (50 cm^3 : 150 cm^3 : 100 cm^3). Thus, the given reaction follows Gay-Lussac's law.
markosheehan
50 cm^3 of nitrogen combine with 150 cm^3 of hydrogen gas to form 100 cm^3 of ammonia. Does this agree with gay lussacs law of combing volumes?. Explain your answer.

i feel the answer is yes but I can not give the reason why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
50 cm^3 of nitrogen combine with 150 cm^3 of hydrogen gas to form 100 cm^3 of ammonia. Does this agree with gay lussacs law of combing volumes?. Explain your answer.

i feel the answer is yes but I can not give the reason why?

The reaction is:
$$\ce{N2 + 3H2 \to 2NH3}$$

Gay-Lussac says that the ratio of molecules corresponds to the ratio of volumes of gasses.
That is:
$$1:3:2 = 50 \text{ cm}^3 : 150 \text{ cm}^3 : 100 \text{ cm}^3$$
Therefore the $100 \text{ cm}^3$ of ammonia does indeed agree with Gay-Lussac's law.

I like Serena said:
The reaction is:
$$\ce{N2 + 3H2 \to 2NH3}$$

Gay-Lussac says that the ratio of molecules corresponds to the ratio of volumes of gasses.
That is:
$$1:3:2 = 50 \text{ cm}^3 : 150 \text{ cm}^3 : 100 \text{ cm}^3$$
Therefore the $100 \text{ cm}^3$ of ammonia does indeed agree with Gay-Lussac's law.
thank you very much

1. What is Gay-Lussac's Law of combining volumes?

Gay-Lussac's Law of combining volumes is a gas law that states that at a constant temperature and pressure, the volumes of gases that react with each other are in a simple whole number ratio.

2. What is the significance of Gay-Lussac's Law?

Gay-Lussac's Law is significant because it allows scientists to predict the volumes of gases that will be produced in a chemical reaction. This helps in understanding the stoichiometry of reactions and can be used to determine the amount of reactants needed.

3. How does Gay-Lussac's Law relate to Avogadro's Law?

Gay-Lussac's Law and Avogadro's Law are related because they both involve the volume of gas. While Gay-Lussac's Law relates to the volumes of reactants and products in a chemical reaction, Avogadro's Law states that equal volumes of gases at the same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.

4. Can Gay-Lussac's Law be applied to all gases?

Yes, Gay-Lussac's Law can be applied to all gases as long as the temperature and pressure are constant. This is because the law is based on the relationship between the volumes of gases and does not depend on the specific properties of the gases.

5. How is Gay-Lussac's Law experimentally determined?

Gay-Lussac's Law is experimentally determined by measuring the volumes of gases before and after a chemical reaction. The ratio of the volumes will give the simple whole number ratio, which can be used to verify the law.