Gauss's Mean Value Property problem.

In summary, the equation shows if u is harmonic function in a region, then the value of u at any point (x_0, y_0) equal to the average of u on the line integral of a circle inside the region centered at (x_0, y_0).
yungman

Homework Statement

Identify integral as the mean value of a harmonic function at a point and evaluate the integral:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \; cos(1+cos(t)) cosh(2+sin(t)) \; dt[/tex]

Using:

[tex] u(x_0,y_0) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \; u[x_0+rcos(t) , \; y_0+rsin(t)] \; dt[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] u(x_0,y_0) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \; u[x_0+rcos(t) , \; y_0+rsin(t)] \; dt[/tex]
This equation show if [itex]u[/tex] is harmonic function in a region, then the value of u at any point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] equal to the average of u on the line integral of a circle inside the region centered at [itex] (x_0, y_0) [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \; cos( 1+cos(t) ) cosh( 2+sin(t)) \; dt[/tex]

[tex] x(t) = 1+cos(t) \hbox { and } y(t) = 2+sin(t) [/tex]

[itex]\nabla^2 u=0 [/tex] and has continuous 1st and 2nd partial derivatives implies [itex]u[/tex] is harmonic function which implies:

[tex] x(t) = 1+cos(t) \hbox { and } y(t) = 2+sin(t) \;\; \Rightarrow\;\; x_0=1 \;\hbox{ and }\; y_0=2\hbox{ Therefore } u(x_0, y_0)=u(1,2) \; \hbox{ and } r=1[/tex]

Therefore the line integral is a circle center at (1,2).

[tex]u(1,2)= cos(1)cosh(2) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \; cos(1+cos(t)) cosh(2+sin(t)) \; dt[/tex]

Which the answer is [itex]cos(1)cosh(2)[/itex].

But the answer of the book is [itex] 2\pi u(0,0) = 2\pi cos(1) cosh(2)[/itex] which implies the center of the circle is (0,0). I don't see what I done wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please?

I really think the answer of the book is wrong. Compare the given equation:

to:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \; cos( 1+cos(t) ) cosh( 2+sin(t)) \; dt[/tex]

[tex] u(x,y) = u[x_0+rcos(t) , \; y_0+rsin(t)] = cos( 1+cos(t) ) cosh( 2+sin(t)) \Rightarrow\; x(t) = 1+cos(t) \hbox { and } y(t) = 2+sin(t) [/tex]

Where [itex](x_0,y_0)=(1,2) \hbox { and } r=1[/itex]

If I just decrease r to zero, then the point is the center of the circle. which is (1,2). The book seems to use (0,0) as the center. Also from the answer of the book, the value of the integral has [itex]cos(1)cosh(2)[/itex] which pretty much agree with me that the center is (1,2).

Yes, I think the book has a typo. They meant to say the integral is 2*pi*u(1,2)=2*cos(1)*cosh(2). You did show u(x,y)=cos(x)*cosh(y) is harmonic, right?

Dick said:
Yes, I think the book has a typo. They meant to say the integral is 2*pi*u(1,2)=2*cos(1)*cosh(2). You did show u(x,y)=cos(x)*cosh(y) is harmonic, right?

Yes I have proofed that u(x,y)=cos(x)*cosh(y) is harmonic.

I want to make sure you mean [itex]2\pi u(1,2) = 2\pi cos(1)cosh(2)[/itex]

Thanks

This is a brand new section added to the book on the last revision, that's what I think it's typo. But you never can be certain, these math textbooks seldom make error. Always have to be sure by posting here first.

Thanks

Yes, 2*pi*u(1,2)=2*pi*cos(1)*cosh(2), ack I did make a mistake. I skipped the pi in the second part. Sorry. As I did, it's not that rare for math textbooks to contain errors.

Dick said:
Yes, 2*pi*u(1,2)=2*pi*cos(1)*cosh(2), ack I did make a mistake. I skipped the pi in the second part. Sorry. As I did, it's not that rare for math textbooks to contain errors.

Thanks for your time.

Alan

Related to Gauss's Mean Value Property problem.

What is Gauss's Mean Value Property problem?

Gauss's Mean Value Property problem is a mathematical concept that states that if a function is harmonic in a given domain, then the value of the function at any point within that domain is equal to the average of the function's values on the boundary of that domain.

What is the significance of Gauss's Mean Value Property?

Gauss's Mean Value Property is important in mathematics because it provides a way to calculate the value of a harmonic function at any point within a given domain, without having to know the function's values at every point within the domain. This can be useful in many applications, such as in solving partial differential equations.

What are some real-world applications of Gauss's Mean Value Property?

Gauss's Mean Value Property has various real-world applications, such as in electrostatics, where it is used to find the electric potential at any point within a given region. It is also used in fluid mechanics, where it can help determine the velocity of a fluid at a specific point within a given domain.

How is Gauss's Mean Value Property related to the concept of harmonicity?

Gauss's Mean Value Property is closely related to the concept of harmonicity, which is the property of a function that satisfies Laplace's equation. Harmonic functions are those for which the value at any point is equal to the average of the values on the boundary, and therefore, they also satisfy Gauss's Mean Value Property.

Are there any limitations or exceptions to Gauss's Mean Value Property?

While Gauss's Mean Value Property holds true for harmonic functions, there are some exceptions and limitations to this concept. For example, it does not hold true for functions that are not continuous or not defined on a bounded domain. In addition, there are certain special cases where it may not be applicable, such as for functions with singularities or for non-Euclidean geometries.