Gauss' Law -- is there a general proof for all geometries?

In summary, there is no general proof that Gauss's law holds true for all charge distributions and geometrical shapes. However, a generalization from a spherical surface of integration to an arbitrary surface, as well as from point charges to arbitrary charge distributions, has been shown through vector calculus and the use of the Dirac delta "function". It is important to consider a large enough gaussian surface in order to approximate a point charge, and the simplicity of using a spherical surface makes it a good basis for a general proof.
davidbenari
I know how to derive Gauss's law considering only one point charge and a sphere.

I've seen other derivations for other geometrical shapes and I would say this is way too tedious as a method to prove that Gauss's law always holds true.

I was wondering if there is a general proof that says this has to be the case for all charge distributions and all geometrical shapes? Namely,

Θ=Q/εo holds true always.

Also, I'm not looking for proofs that refer to the fact that the "irregular shape is equivalent or reducible to the spherical case". I'm considering cylinders, cubes, and other polygons which as far as I know are not reducible to the spherical case.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw your gaussian surface big enough, not matter what object/shape is inside, it will be comparatively small enough to be assumed a point source.

I don't think there is proof that anything always holds true.

Likes 1 person
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node30.html

This covers both the generalization from a spherical surface of integration to an arbitrary surface, and from point charges to arbitrary charge distributions. Warning: requires vector calculus, and you'll have to learn about the Dirac delta "function".

Likes 1 person
Elegysix:

I liked what you said however:

suppose you're calculating flux out of a charged long rod and create a gaussian surface (sphere in this case) so big such that the rod can be consider a point charge. This makes the calculations not simple at all because the electric field is not always parallel to the differential of area on your spherical surface. This is because the electric field on a charged long rod is mostly radial and outwards.

It's important to consider just the sphere in this case because this is would be the basis for a general proof because of its simplicity. So I wouldn't be convinced by "consider a gaussian cylinder then".

Thanks by the way, I didn't think of what you said.

I can say that there is indeed a general proof for Gauss' Law that holds true for all charge distributions and geometries. This proof is known as the divergence theorem, which is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus. It states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the enclosed volume. In simpler terms, this means that the total amount of a vector field coming out of a closed surface is equal to the amount of that field flowing into the enclosed volume.

In the case of Gauss' Law, the vector field is the electric field, and the closed surface is a Gaussian surface that encloses the charge distribution. Using the divergence theorem, we can show that the flux of the electric field through the Gaussian surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space (εo). This is the same equation as Θ=Q/εo, which is Gauss' Law.

Therefore, we can say with confidence that Gauss' Law holds true for all charge distributions and geometries, as it is a consequence of the more general divergence theorem. This eliminates the need for tedious derivations for different geometries, as the proof is applicable to all cases.

Furthermore, the divergence theorem does not rely on the shape of the Gaussian surface, so it is not necessary to reduce irregular shapes to the spherical case. This makes it a more robust and general proof for Gauss' Law.

In conclusion, there is indeed a general proof for Gauss' Law that holds true for all charge distributions and geometries, and it is based on the fundamental divergence theorem.

Related to Gauss' Law -- is there a general proof for all geometries?

1. What is Gauss' Law and why is it important in physics?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the distribution of electric charge to the resulting electric field. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed electric charge. This law is important because it allows us to calculate electric fields and understand the behavior of electric charges in various situations.

2. What is the general proof for Gauss' Law and for what geometries does it apply?

The general proof for Gauss' Law is based on the fundamental principles of electromagnetism, specifically the divergence theorem. It applies to all geometries, including simple shapes such as spheres and cubes, as well as more complex geometries.

3. How does Gauss' Law apply to different types of materials?

Gauss' Law applies to all types of materials, including conductors, insulators, and dielectrics. The only difference is that the electric flux through a closed surface will depend on the electric properties of the material, such as its permittivity and conductivity.

4. Can Gauss' Law be used to find the electric field inside a charged object?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to find the electric field inside a charged object as long as the charge distribution is known. By applying Gauss' Law to a closed surface inside the object, we can calculate the electric field at any point inside the object.

5. How does Gauss' Law relate to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss' Law and Coulomb's Law are closely related. Coulomb's Law is a mathematical expression of the electric force between two point charges, while Gauss' Law is a general statement about the relationship between electric charge and electric field. Gauss' Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law, but it applies to a wider range of situations beyond just point charges.