Gas pressure in gravitational field from the partition function

In summary, the conversation discussed finding expressions for gas pressure using various equations and methods. There were difficulties with using F=-kT\ln \mathbb{Z} and p=\frac{exp[-\beta (\frac{p^2}{2m}+mgz)]}{\mathbb{Z}}, but eventually it was determined that it may be easier to use Z as an integral over 6N dimensional phase space and then use thermodynamic derivatives to calculate the pressure.
Truecrimson

Homework Statement

Please see P2 in http://panda.unm.edu/pandaweb/graduate/prelims/SM_S09.pdf

"Starting with [itex]\mathbb{Z} (z_1,z_2)[/itex] above, derive expressions for the gas pressure..."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the pressure at the top and the bottom of the gas column, I tried to use [tex]F=-kT\ln \mathbb{Z}[/tex], where F is the free energy, and [tex]P=-\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V}\right)_T[/tex] by writing [itex]h=\frac{V}{A}[/itex] and got a horrible expression. So I don't think that is the way to go for a timed exam. Moreover, I'm not sure how I can get the pressure at a specific height from that.

Now, I'm thinking about starting from the probability [itex]p=\frac{exp[-\beta (\frac{p^2}{2m}+mgz)]}{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex], which directly gives the number of particles at height z. But how can I get the pressure from that?

The second part where I have to calculate the pressure at the top given the pressure at the bottom looks easier though, since I have the pressure at the bottom as a reference point.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it. Integrate [tex]p=exp[-\beta (\frac{p^2}{2m}+mgz)][/tex] along all three momenta, x and y coordinates, and all particle but one. Then I get the probability of a particle to be at height z. From there, I can get the number of particles at height z, and then the force and the pressure.

It seems like it's easier to just write Z as an integral over 6N dimensional phase space, do the integrals over p and q. All that's left is a function of z1 and z2, then try using the thermodynamic derivatives to give you the pressure.

Related to Gas pressure in gravitational field from the partition function

1. What is gas pressure in a gravitational field?

Gas pressure in a gravitational field refers to the force exerted by a gas on a surface due to the influence of gravity. It is a result of the collisions between gas particles and the surface of the container holding the gas.

2. How is gas pressure in a gravitational field calculated?

Gas pressure in a gravitational field can be calculated using the partition function, which takes into account the energy levels and probabilities of particles in the gas. It is also affected by the temperature, volume, and number of particles in the gas.

3. How does gravity affect gas pressure?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the gas pressure in a gravitational field. It causes the gas particles to be pulled towards the center of the Earth, resulting in an increase in density and therefore an increase in pressure.

4. What is the relationship between gas pressure and gravity?

The relationship between gas pressure and gravity is indirect but significant. An increase in gravity will lead to an increase in gas pressure, as more particles are pulled towards the surface and collide with the container walls. Similarly, a decrease in gravity will result in a decrease in gas pressure.

5. How does gas pressure in a gravitational field differ from gas pressure in a non-gravitational field?

In a non-gravitational field, gas pressure is solely determined by the temperature, volume, and number of particles in the gas. In a gravitational field, gravity also plays a role in determining gas pressure by pulling particles towards the surface and increasing the density of the gas.