Galactic Dynamics (spherical potential)

In summary, the question is whether the observations of a precisely spherical surface and a perfectly spherical potential exterior to the planet can lead to the conclusion that the mass distribution inside the planet is spherically symmetric. There is a discussion about the possibility of other bodies affecting the potential and the use of Gauss's law to infer the charge distribution. It is also mentioned that the planet could act as a point source and have a symmetric gravity field. However, it is noted that it has been a while since the responder has approached these types of problems.
gupster
This is an adaptation of question 2.1. in Galactic Dynamics by Binney and Tremaine in case anyone owns it.

Homework Statement

Astronauts orbiting a planet find that
(i) the surface of the planet is precisely spherical.
(ii) the potential exterior to the planetary surface is [tex]\phi = \frac{-GM}{r}[/tex] exactly, that is, perfectly spherical.

Can you conclude from these observations that the mass distribution in the interior of the planet is spherically symmetric?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it doesn't matter whether it is a point mass inside at the centre or whether there is a symmetric mass distribution but I don't really know why I think that!

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question,

I'm wondering if you'd need to know how isolated the planet is since the potential will be the cumulative effect of all bodies in proximity..

That's to say, the mass distribution mightn't be symmetric, but by some random chance the potential is due to the presence of other planets etc..

On another note, are you the guy who posts on punktastic?

I'm the girl who posts on punktastic...

Aha, sorry! I don't post on there, I've just read a few threads like

Its been a while since I've done gravitation so might be a few meters off the mark, however i would guess that...

If you make the assumption that the planet is in deep space so all other potentials can be neglected then that leaves you with a lump of mass making a perfectly spherically symmetric gravaitaional potential.

The gradient of this potential will give you the gravitational field - just your usual 1/r^2 field.

Could you then not just use Gauss's law to infer the charge distribution?

Hope that's of some help, but has been ages since I've approached these kinda problems.

Well, you could prove by brute force integration that the planet acts as a point source and the gravity field is symmetric.

-Ataman

Related to Galactic Dynamics (spherical potential)

1. What is galactic dynamics?

Galactic dynamics is the study of the motions and interactions of stars and other celestial bodies within a galaxy. It seeks to understand the forces and processes that shape the structure and evolution of galaxies.

2. What is a spherical potential?

A spherical potential is a simple mathematical model that describes the gravitational potential of a spherical mass distribution, such as a galaxy. It assumes that the mass is evenly distributed in all directions around a central point, resulting in a symmetric, spherical gravitational field.

3. What is the significance of galactic dynamics?

Galactic dynamics is important for understanding how galaxies form and evolve over time. It also helps to explain the observed properties of galaxies, such as their spiral arms, bulges, and rotation curves.

4. How do scientists study galactic dynamics?

Scientists study galactic dynamics through a combination of theoretical models and observations. They use tools such as computer simulations, mathematical calculations, and telescopes to analyze the motions and interactions of stars and other objects within galaxies.

5. What are some applications of galactic dynamics?

Galactic dynamics has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration. It also has implications for our understanding of dark matter, black holes, and the large-scale structure of the universe.