Finding force from electric potential energy using gradients.

In summary, the electric potential energy for a point charge located at (r,θ,φ) near a spherically symmetric but non-uniform charge distribution is given by: U(r,θ,φ) = ρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)(1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3) for r ≤ a, 0 for r ≥ a). There is a resulting electric force F exerted on charge q as a function of its location (r,θ,φ) for: a) r ≤ a where F=-∇U, b) r > a where F=
mattyc33

Homework Statement

In a certain region, a charge distribution exists that is spherically symmetric but
non-uniform. When a positive point charge q is located at (r,θ,φ) near this charge
distribution, there is a resulting electric potential energy for the system given by:

U(r,θ,φ) = ρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)(1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3) for r ≤ a

and 0 for r ≥ a

where ρo is a constant having units of C/m^3 (volume charge density) and a is a
constant having units of m. Note that there is no θ or φ dependence here since the
charge distribution is spherically symmetric.
Determine the electric force F
exerted on charge q as a function of its location
(r,θ,φ) for:
a) r ≤ a
b) r > a
Check that the units of your answer make sense. (Show your work.)

Homework Equations

F=-∇U
∇U=dU/dr r

The Attempt at a Solution

'

I derived ∇U=dU/dr r from the spherical coordinate gradients and since there is no dependence on phi and theta we will just be using the r vector.

therefore:

d/drρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)(1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3) r

= 6r(r-a)/a^3 r

This is where I don't know what to do, how would I express my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've calculated grad(U) ... you have the relationship between F and grad(U) ... you are asked for F... what's the problem?

Maybe this will help: You have told us...

$$U(r,\theta,\varphi) = U(r) = \frac{\rho_{0}a^2q}{18\epsilon_0 (1-3\left (\frac{r}{a}\right )^2)} + 2\left (\frac{r}{a}\right )^3 \; : \; r \leq a$$ $$\vec{F} = -\nabla U(r,\theta,\varphi)=-\frac{d}{dr}U(r)\hat{r}$$ $$\frac{d}{dr}U(r)=\frac{6r(r-a)}{a^3}$$... note: I'd check that derivative: I don't see where ##\rho_0##, ##q## and ##\epsilon_0## went for eg.

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing things up.

At this point I'm just having trouble proving that my answer will be in Newtons (correct units). Which means I probably derived wrong.

In fact, [a]=L so your answer has dimensions of inverse-length.
You should go over the derivation.

Is the expression for U(r) (above) the same as what you are given?
The second term 2((r/a)^3) is dimensionless ... what dimensions should U have?

Sorry I must have mistyped the equation in the first place.

It should have been:

(ρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)) (1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3)

Hopefully that makes it more clear.

The units for U should be Joules I believe (could be mistaken)

(ρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)) (1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3)
Here, let me help with that... $$U(r)= \frac{\rho_0 a^2 q}{18\epsilon_0} \left ( 1-3\left( \frac{r}{a} \right )^2 +2\left ( \frac{r}{a} \right )^3 \right )$$... LaTeX is totally worth the effort of learning it.

To proceed, I would either change the variable, say z=r/a so $$\frac{dU}{dr}=\frac{1}{a}\frac{dU}{dz}$$... or just rearrange $$U(r)= \frac{\rho_0 q}{18\epsilon_0 a} \left ( a^3 -3ar^2+2r^3 \right )$$... you should be able to see right away that you don't have enough constants in your answer... probably you just forgot to put them back at the end.

BTW: "dimensions" is different from "units" ... electric potential has units of "Volts" (energy per unit charge) ... charge is dimensionless so U has dimensions of energy - which would be M.L2T-2.

Related to Finding force from electric potential energy using gradients.

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in joules (J).

2. How is electric potential energy related to force?

Electric potential energy and force are related through the concept of a potential gradient. The force acting on a charge is equal to the negative of the gradient of the electric potential energy function at that point.

3. What is a potential gradient?

A potential gradient is a measure of the change in electric potential energy per unit distance. It is a vector quantity and is represented by the symbol ∇V.

4. How do you find force from electric potential energy using gradients?

To find the force acting on a charge from electric potential energy using gradients, you need to calculate the gradient of the potential energy function at the point where the charge is located, and then multiply it by the charge's magnitude. The resulting force will be in the direction of the steepest decrease in potential energy.

5. Can you use gradients to find force for any electric potential energy function?

Yes, as long as the electric potential energy function is continuous and differentiable, you can use gradients to find the force acting on a charge at a specific point in the electric field. This method is particularly useful for finding the force on a charge due to a point charge or a system of charges.