Gain Resume Benefits from ASCE Involvement

• Thread starter Mddrill
  • Start date
In summary, being a captain for a smaller competition in the American Society for Civil Engineers (ASCE) can be beneficial for your resume and job search, as it demonstrates leadership and a willingness to work on projects outside of school. Alternatively, simply being involved in ASCE can also be beneficial, even without a leadership role.
Mddrill
If anyone doesn't know, ASCE is the American society for civil engineers. They have engineering- related competitions where colleges compete and I am wondering if being a captain of one of the smaller competitions will look good on a resume or help me find a job in some other way.

The alternative would be to be involved in ASCE, but not be in any leadership role

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Mddrill said:
If anyone doesn't know, ASCE is the American society for civil engineers. They have engineering- related competitions where colleges compete and I am wondering if being a captain of one of the smaller competitions will look good on a resume or help me find a job in some other way.

The alternative would be to be involved in ASCE, but not be in any leadership role

Thank You

I would look favorably on that when I saw it on a resume, especially if the applicant did not have a lot of job-related experience yet (like a new graduate). It shows leadership and a desire to work on projects outside of normal schoolwork. :smile:

Related to Gain Resume Benefits from ASCE Involvement

1. What is ASCE and how can involvement benefit my resume?

ASCE stands for American Society of Civil Engineers. It is a professional organization for individuals in the civil engineering field. Involvement in ASCE can benefit your resume by showing potential employers your dedication and involvement in your field, as well as providing opportunities for networking and professional development.

2. What are some specific resume benefits of being involved in ASCE?

Some specific resume benefits of being involved in ASCE include gaining leadership experience through involvement in committees and projects, attending and presenting at conferences and workshops, and participating in community service and outreach activities.

3. Can involvement in ASCE help me advance in my career?

Yes, involvement in ASCE can help advance your career by providing opportunities for professional development, networking, and building a strong professional reputation within the civil engineering community. ASCE also offers resources for career advancement, such as job boards, mentorship programs, and continuing education opportunities.

4. Are there any membership requirements for gaining resume benefits from ASCE involvement?

There are no specific membership requirements for gaining resume benefits from ASCE involvement. However, actively participating in ASCE activities and events can help showcase your dedication and involvement in the organization, making your resume stand out to potential employers.

5. How can I get involved in ASCE and start gaining resume benefits?

You can get involved in ASCE by becoming a member and attending local chapter events and meetings, joining committees and project teams, and participating in community service and outreach activities. You can also explore opportunities to present at conferences and workshops, as well as attend national ASCE events and conferences for networking and professional development.