Funny similarities between a ball and the expanding universe

In summary, a rubber ball bouncing on a flat surface loses energy with each bounce, causing the intervals between bounces to become shorter and the sound of impact to accelerate. This may give the illusion of acceleration when in fact the ball is slowing down. This phenomenon is not linked to the evidence for accelerating expansion of the universe, but the similarities are intriguing. The conversation has reached a conclusion and there is no further discussion needed.
Wandelgart
A rubber ball is bouncing on a flat surface. Every time it bounces, it loses energy, while the sound of the ball hitting the surface accelerates (because the intervals of the ball impacting the surface become shorter with each bounce). The ball seems to be accelerating when, in fact, it is slowing down.
I know the evidence for an accelerating expansion of the universe and what I have just written are not linked, but I find the similarities interesting. In the ball's case, it is just an illusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wandelgart said:
I know the evidence for an accelerating expansion of the universe and what I have just written are not linked
Yes. So there is not much left to discuss about it.

Thread closed.

Related to Funny similarities between a ball and the expanding universe

1. What are the similarities between a ball and the expanding universe?

The ball and the expanding universe both have a spherical shape and exhibit outward expansion from their center.

2. How does the expansion of the universe compare to a ball rolling?

Just as a ball rolls and expands outward from its starting point, the universe is expanding outward from its initial singularity.

3. Can the expansion of the universe be observed in a similar way to a ball's movement?

While the expansion of the universe cannot be directly observed, scientists use various techniques such as redshift measurements to infer its expansion.

4. Are there any other similarities between a ball and the expanding universe?

Both the ball and the universe have a center of mass and experience gravitational forces.

5. Why do some people find it funny that a ball and the expanding universe share similarities?

The concept of comparing a small object like a ball to the vastness of the expanding universe can be seen as humorous or ironic.