Is the Empathy Quotient Test Accurate and Reliable?

• Thread starter physics user1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny Test
In summary, the conversation revolves around taking an empathy quotient test and the results of the participants. Some find the questions strange and believe that some are not necessary or repetitive. Others discuss their personal traits and preferences when it comes to empathy and social cues. Some also question the accuracy of the test and its creators.
physics user1
https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/

Also watch this video:

How it was? What was your empathy quotient? Did you yawn? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, out of sheer boredom.
But the third pic in 'people yawning' was magnificent: what a disguise !
And I also think the composers may wel fail the idiot test they advertise at the end: "scientifical' . Ha !

Likes gracy
I had 34 out of 80 what ever that means.

"Scientifical"...really?

Anyway, I didn't yawn; I guess I'm a certified psychopath. :)

Likes DaveC426913
I got 21:eek:

Cruz Martinez said:
I got 21:eek:
If it makes you feel better, I got 17. If I saw someone cry, I would feel awful and probably try to comfort them. I also always try to put myself in someone else's shoes. The problem is I suck at detecting social cues. I have a very dry sense of humor that often offends people. Because of that, I prefer to be alone.

I admit, I do prefer non-human animals to humans.

Likes Cruz Martinez
Amrator said:
If it makes you feel better, I got 17. If I saw someone cry, I would feel awful and probably try to comfort them. I also always try to put myself in someone else's shoes. The problem is I suck at detecting social cues. I have a very dry sense of humor that often offends people. Because of that, I prefer to be alone.

I admit, I do prefer non-human animals to humans.
I am exactly like that. I think the name of the test is a bit midleading.

I may have a problem, I only yawned when I saw the dog yawn.

Likes DaveC426913
BvU said:
Yeah, out of sheer boredom.
But the third pic in 'people yawning' was magnificent: what a disguise !
And I also think the composers may wel fail the idiot test they advertise at the end: "scientifical' . Ha !
Also, "...lack the ability to emphasise and recognise the emotions of others". How does "emphasise" fit into that sentence? Shouldn't it be "empathise"? Or am I missing something.

I get infected by yawning in real life, but had absolutely no reaction to the ones in the video. My suspicion is that I see it as staged, so there's no social cue to respond to.

Likes BvU
"You’'re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’'s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’'t, not without your help. But you'’re not helping. Why is that?"

Likes Amrator
I got 10/80 on the empathy test

According to the sources listed at the bottom either Borat or Ali G had a hand in that test. Which goes some way to explaining the erratic results.

Many questions are so similar, I don't see how having all of them would improve the accuracy of the test. Some of them are strange.
I prefer animals to humans.
Even ignoring that humans are animals: Context? Do I prefer a street or a bottle of water? Well, depends on where I am, where I want to go and how thirsty I am.
I dream most nights.
Everyone does every night (or more precisely, when they sleep). What a strange question.
Before making a decision, I always weigh up the pros and cons.
No one does. We make tiny decisions all the time. Like, every second.

Likes QuantumQuest and Amrator
mfb said:
Many questions are so similar, I don't see how having all of them would improve the accuracy of the test. Some of them are strange.

If you change some of your answers to some of the questions, the score doesn't change. So I guess some questions are not necessary for some reason? I don't really understand the entire scoring of the test.

Likes Amrator

Related to Is the Empathy Quotient Test Accurate and Reliable?

What is a funny empathy test and why should I take it?

A funny empathy test is a test designed to measure a person's ability to understand and share the feelings of others. It is usually presented in a humorous way, making it more engaging and enjoyable to take. Taking this test can help you improve your empathy skills and understand how you relate to others.

How accurate is a funny empathy test?

As with any psychological test, the accuracy of a funny empathy test depends on various factors such as the design of the test, the sample size, and the individual's level of honesty while taking the test. While a funny empathy test may not provide a completely accurate measure of empathy, it can still provide valuable insights and serve as a fun exercise.

Can a funny empathy test help improve my relationships?

Yes, taking a funny empathy test can help improve your relationships by increasing your understanding of others and their feelings. By identifying areas where you may need to work on your empathy skills, you can make conscious efforts to be more understanding and empathetic towards others, leading to stronger and healthier relationships.

Are there any downsides to taking a funny empathy test?

No, there are no major downsides to taking a funny empathy test. However, it is important to keep in mind that these tests are not a definitive measure of your empathy and should be taken with a grain of salt. It is also important to not let the results of the test define you or your relationships.

Can I retake a funny empathy test to see if my empathy has improved?

Yes, you can retake a funny empathy test to see if your empathy has improved. It is recommended to wait a significant amount of time (at least a few months) before retaking the test to allow for any changes in your empathy skills to be reflected in the results. However, it is important to remember that empathy is a complex trait and cannot be measured by a single test.