Funny email received with Physics PE problem

In summary, Lynn received a joke email with a math problem involving an elephant on a ramp. The student's answer for "b" was that there was an elephant in the way, but Lynn calculated that the correct answer for "a" was 1.69m and for "b" was that the elephant will reach 5m again due to the frictionless ramp. Lynn's answers were correct, and they joked about how the student managed to get the elephant into the exam room.
lynk
Hello,

I recently got a "joke" email with this problem in it.
The student drew an elephant in the middle of the ramp & answered "b" with: No, there is an elephant in the way.
It is relevant to my current studies, so I worked it out and would like to know if I am correct.
Please see attachment.

My answer for "a" is x=1.69m and for "b," Yes, and it will reach 5m again, because the ramp is frictionless.
Are my answers correct or did I miss something?

Enjoy the humorous j-peg.

Thank you,
Lynn

Attachments

• funny physics.jpg
    funny physics.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Lynn! :wink:

Yes, your answers are fine. :smile:

(but how did your student manage to sneak the elephant past the elephant-detectors into the exam room? :confused:)

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for sharing this funny email with me. It's always nice to see humor in the world of science and physics. As for your answers, they are indeed correct. Your calculation for the distance of the elephant on the ramp (x=1.69m) is accurate and your reasoning for why the ball will reach 5m again (due to the frictionless ramp) is sound. Keep up the good work in your studies and always remember to find joy and humor in your scientific pursuits.

Related to Funny email received with Physics PE problem

1. What is the Physics PE problem in the funny email?

The Physics PE problem in the funny email is a hypothetical problem that involves applying principles of physics to a humorous scenario. It is not a real-world physics problem, but rather a fun and creative way of exploring physics concepts.

2. Is the Physics PE problem accurate and scientifically sound?

No, the Physics PE problem in the funny email is not meant to be taken seriously or as a scientifically accurate representation of physics. It is simply a joke or a humorous way of looking at physics concepts.

3. Who came up with the Physics PE problem in the funny email?

The origin of the Physics PE problem in the funny email is unknown, as it is often shared and circulated online with no clear source. It is possible that it was created by a physics teacher or someone with a background in physics and a sense of humor.

4. Can the Physics PE problem be used for educational purposes?

While the Physics PE problem in the funny email may contain accurate physics principles, it is not intended for educational purposes. It is meant to be a lighthearted and entertaining way to explore physics concepts, rather than a serious educational tool.

5. Are there other examples of Physics PE problems like the one in the funny email?

Yes, there are many other examples of Physics PE problems or jokes that involve applying physics concepts to humorous scenarios. These can be found online or shared among physics enthusiasts. However, it is important to remember that these are not meant to be taken as serious physics problems.