Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the fundamental theorem of calculus states that for a continuous function f on the interval [a,b], the integral of f from a to b is equal to the difference between the antiderivative of f evaluated at b and a. This can be used to solve for the antiderivative of a function in Part a and to find the derivative of an indefinite integral in Part b. The first link provided is not the fundamental theorem of calculus, so it is recommended to use the information from Part 2 to solve the given problem.
tdwp
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8089/fr2rl4.gif

I know part a is the fundamental theorem of calculus, but I am not quite sure how to manipulate the integral to find part i or part ii.
Part b is again the fundamental theorem of calculus, but I am having a hard time solving for the antiderivative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the statement of the fundamental theorem?

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:

Let f be a function that is continuous on [a,b].
Part 1: Let F be an indefinite integral or antiderivative of f. Then
e1.gif

Part 2:
e2.gif
is an indefinite integral or antiderivative of f or A'(x) = f(x)

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that connects the two main branches of calculus: differential and integral calculus. It states that the derivative and integral of a function are inverse operations of each other.

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real life?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus has numerous real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, it is used to calculate the area under a curve, which is important in finding the distance traveled by an object, the amount of work done, or the total profit of a company.

What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part I, states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then its integral can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative at the endpoints of the interval. The second part, or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II, states that if a function is continuous on an interval, then the derivative of its integral is the original function.

Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be used for all functions?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can be applied to any function that satisfies the conditions of continuity and differentiability on a closed interval. However, it may not be applicable for certain discontinuous or non-differentiable functions.

Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is an essential concept in calculus as it allows us to easily calculate integrals and derivatives of functions. It also provides a connection between these two fundamental operations and has numerous practical applications in various fields of study.