Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and Line Integrals: Does it Apply?

In summary, the mass of a surface is not generally equal to the antiderivative of the scalar field (p) at the surface.
LucasGB
If I draw a random curve over a scalar field, then it is not generally true that the line integral of the scalar field over the curve equals the difference between the value of the antiderivatives of the scalar field at the beginning and finishing points of the curve, as one can clearly see by changing the shape of the curve and keeping the aforementioned points unchanged.

If, on the other hand, the scalar field is a linear mass density and the curve is a piece of wire, then it is true that the line integral of the scalar field over the curve equals the difference between the value of the antiderivatives of the scalar field at the beginning and finishing points of the curve, because now the scalar field is closely related to the curve, and if I change the shape of the curve, I'll change the scalar field in the same manner. (Remember that the antiderivative of a linear mass density is mass)

So, should I say the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus applies or doesn't apply to line integrals?

PS.: Note I'm not talking about the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals, which is all about the line integrals of vector fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
A scalar field has no "anti-derivative" as it is a function of several variables, just like it doesn't have a derivative, but only a partial derivative.

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is only about one variable functions f(x).
In integration of a curve, you choosed a parametrization and then your integrand reduces to a single-variable function g(t), and then the fundamental theorem applies.

So you should really say that the fundamental theorem of calculus is not really relevant to your question.

elibj123 said:
A scalar field has no "anti-derivative" as it is a function of several variables, just like it doesn't have a derivative, but only a partial derivative.

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is only about one variable functions f(x).
In integration of a curve, you choosed a parametrization and then your integrand reduces to a single-variable function g(t), and then the fundamental theorem applies.

So you should really say that the fundamental theorem of calculus is not really relevant to your question.

Allright, that's interesting, but I still have doubts.

1. Let's say I want to do a surface integral to find the mass of a surface. So I simply integrate p (area density) with respect to dA over the entire surface. I can say p is a scalar field, since it is a value attributed to all points of the surface. Can't I say mass is the antiderivative of p, since p=dm/dA?

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and Line Integrals: Does it Apply?

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a mathematical theorem that establishes the relationship between differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and F(x) is the antiderivative of that function, then the definite integral of the function from a to b is equal to F(b) - F(a).

2. How does the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus apply to line integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can be extended to line integrals, which involve integrating a function along a curve. In this case, the upper and lower limits of the integral are replaced by the initial and final points of the curve, and the integrand is multiplied by the derivative of the curve with respect to the variable of integration.

3. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be applied to any type of function?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is applicable to any continuous function, as long as the function has an antiderivative. However, for line integrals, the curve must also be differentiable in order for the theorem to be applied.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and line integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and line integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating work done by a force along a curve, computing the average value of a function, and finding the area under a curve. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the applicability of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and line integrals?

One limitation of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is that it only applies to continuous functions. Additionally, line integrals can only be evaluated for curves that are differentiable. In some cases, the curve may be too complex to find a closed-form solution, and numerical methods may need to be used instead.