Fundamental theorem for line integrals

In summary, the fundamental theorem for line integrals states that if a vector field f is a gradient field, then it is path independent. This can be applied to line integrals of vector fields, where f is paramaterized by a curve. For line integrals of scalar fields over arc length, the same concept applies, but with a regular function of two variables. The unit tangent vector can be used to help visualize and understand the line integral of a vector field. The generalized fundamental theorem of calculus can be applied to all types of line integrals. The area element dA is used to compare against the line integral if the path is closed.
dumbQuestion
Hi, I have a question. In my calculus book, I always see the fundamental theorem for line integrals used for line integrals of vector fields, where f=M(x,y)i + N(x,y)j is a vector field.The fundamental theorem tells me that if a vector field f is a gradient field for some function F, then f is path independent and then given a curve paramaterized by r(t) from a <= t <=b, ∫f°dr = F(r(a)) - F(r(b))However, what is the analogue of this for line integrals of scalar fields over the arc length of a curve? You know, the ol' ∫f(x,y)ds type of line integrals where f(x,y) is just a regular function of two variables? I know the gradient is a vector field, so clearly f here isn't a gradient, but it could still be exact (meaning there's a function F such that ∂F/∂x = ∂F/∂y). If that's the case, is F a potential function for f, and can I apply the fundamental theorem? Another issue I have is visualizing the problem. It's simple to visualize the line integral of a scalar field using arc length: it's just the "Area" of the "curtain" of f above the curve. But I can't for the life of me visualize the vector field version ∫Mdx +Ndy. But I know that for the vector field version, ∫f°dr = ∫f°Tds where T is the unit tangent vector so I know they're related by the tangent vector. How can I use the idea of the unit tangent vector to help visualize/understand the line integral of a vector field? The problem is my book just gives examples of physics and work, and to be honest, I just don't know anything about physics. How can I visualize it from a purely geometric perspective?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have "ds" then you have "s" as a parameter for the curve: x= g(s), y= h(s). So
[itex]\int f(x,y)ds= \int f(x(s), y(s))ds[/itex] which is just an ordinary integral.

[tex]\oint f(r) \; dr = -\int \nabla f(r) \times dA[/tex]

(for scalar [itex]f(r)[/itex], vector [itex]r[/itex], [itex]dr[/itex], [itex]dA[/itex].

All such integrals follow from the generalized fundamental theorem of calculus.

HallsOfIvy,I'm confused on what you're saying. When I was talking about "ds" I was talking about the change in arc length. In all the examples in my book, they end up paramaterizing the curve in terms of a variable t, so I end up with:
∫f(x,y)ds = ∫f(x(t),y(t))ds(dt/dt) = ∫f(x(t),y(t))(ds/dt)dt = ∫f(x(t),y(t))√(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2) dt(t is paramaterizing the curve)

Muphrid said:
[tex]\oint f(r) \; dr = -\int \nabla f(r) \times dA[/tex]

(for scalar [itex]f(r)[/itex], vector [itex]r[/itex], [itex]dr[/itex], [itex]dA[/itex].

All such integrals follow from the generalized fundamental theorem of calculus.

So when you say dr here, is that a vector r(t) which is paramaterizing the curve? (for example, if our curve was the portion of a circle of radius 1 in the first quadrant, we could have r(t)=<cost,sint> 0<=t<=∏/2

Then wouldn't we end up having:

∫f(r)dr = ∫f(r(t))dr*(dt/dt) = ∫f(r(t))(dr/dt)dt = ∫f(r(t))<-sint,cost>dt ? (I mean isn't this what the left hand side would be)

And as for dA on the right hand side, this is the change in area? I'm confused, the area of what?

Yeah, [itex]dr[/itex] could be taken equal to [itex](dr/dt) \; dt[/itex] for a scalar parameter [itex]t[/itex]. The same thing is done in vector line integrals; it's just that either you have a dot or a cross product between the vector field and [itex]dr/dt[/itex] in practice.

[itex]dA[/itex] is an area element of a surface whose boundary is the closed path of the line integral. If the path of the line integral is not closed, then there is no area integral on the right to compare against.

Related to Fundamental theorem for line integrals

What is the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals states that the integral of a vector field along a smooth curve is equal to the difference of the potential function evaluated at the endpoints of the curve.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a curve. It involves integrating a function of several variables along a curve in a vector field.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. In the context of line integrals, the vector field represents a physical quantity such as force, velocity, or electric field.

What is a smooth curve?

A smooth curve is a curve that is continuously differentiable, meaning that the slope of the curve at any point is defined and continuous. This ensures that the curve has no sharp corners or breaks, allowing it to be integrated over smoothly.

What is the significance of the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals is significant because it allows for the calculation of line integrals using only the values of the potential function at the endpoints of the curve. This makes it a powerful tool in physics and engineering, where line integrals are frequently used to calculate work and other physical quantities.