Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

In summary, the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic states that any integer can be written uniquely as a power of 2 and an odd number. This problem asks for a pattern to be found in the even integers, but the problem is not clear whether this is what is meant or not. If it is not what is meant, then the problem can be solved using the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic.
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

Using the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, prove that every positive integer can be written uniquely as a power of 2 and an odd number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the FTOA states that any integer can be written as a product of primes, then it seems that any positive integer can be of the form 2^i*p^j, where p is a prime <> 2. But to get 1, I would have to have 2^0*p*0 and I'm not sure if that would work.

Physics news on Phys.org
tarheelborn said:
it seems that any positive integer can be of the form 2^i*p^j.
Even 15?

P.S. have you tried specific examples, rather than trying to prove it for everything right off the bat?

Initially, I had worked this problem so that I was dealing with two cases, evens and odds. I came up with even integers = 2^0+(n-1) and odd integers = 2^1+(n-2). Hence 15 would equal 2+(15-2)=2+13. But I couldn't work that into a proof using FTOA. I am not sure whether I should try to multipy or add/subtract the odd number.

For some reason, I was sure the problem you wrote said "sum". Of course, the problem cannot be right in that case (you could use 4 as your power of 2, instead of 2, and get two different answers)

If the problem said "product", then the representation is unique -- and it's a useful representation I've seen in actual application -- so that's probably what it meant.

Actually, it didn't say either product or sum. It simply said that every positive integer can be written "uniquely as a power of 2 and an odd number." I believe it will have to be a product, so I will try developing a pattern as you suggested with actual numbers. I may be back, however! Thank you.

The odd numbers seem to be working out nicely to 2^0 * n, but I am having trouble coming up with a pattern for the even numbers. Any ideas that could nudge along my thinking? Thank you.

If you can't figure out all even numbers, how about some of them?

OK. I have the following (sometimes I feel really dense and this is certainly one of those times!) list:

2=2^1*1
4=2^2*1
6=2^1*3
8=2^3*1
10=2^1*5
12=2^2*3
14=2^1*7

So it seems like every other one (starting with 2) is 2^1 * (n/2). I don't see a pattern in the others.

Keep in mind that 2^0 is a power of 2.

So, using the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic would I be able to say that any integer can be written as a product of primes, implying that any integer can be written as 2^i * 3^j * 5^k... and then take out the power of 2 so that said integer can be written as 2*(3^j * 5^k...), where j, k >=0. With 2 out of the picture, the other elements of the product would be odd and odd numbers multiplied by odd numbers give odd numbers, so it is proved.

Is that where I need to go? Thanks so much for your help!

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic states that every integer greater than 1 can be written as a unique product of prime numbers.

Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic important?

This theorem is important because it provides a way to uniquely factorize any integer into its prime factors. It is also the basis of many other mathematical concepts and proofs.

Who discovered the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic was first proved by the Greek mathematician Euclid in his book Elements, around 300 BC.

Does the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic apply to all numbers?

The theorem applies to all integers greater than 1. It does not apply to fractions, decimals, or irrational numbers.

What are some real-life applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The theorem is used in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and number theory. It also has practical uses in simplifying fractions and finding the greatest common divisor of two numbers.