Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR…?

In summary, the conversation discusses a space explorer traveling in a spaceship with a speed of 0.9c, and going from Earth to a distant star 4 light years away. The question is asked about the distance measured by the explorer and how long it took her to get there. The equations used to solve the problem are provided and the first part is solved correctly, obtaining a distance of 1.7 light years. However, when solving for the time, the individual realizes they do not have enough information and uses the equation ##\frac {L_0} v## to find ##\Delta t_0##, resulting in a value of ##\frac {40} {9}## years. Multiplying this value by
member 545369

Homework Statement

A space explorer travels in a spaceship with v = 0.9c. She goes from Earth to a distant star that is 4 light years away (again, measured from Earth). What is the distance measured by the explorer and how long will she say it took her to get there?

Homework Equations

##L=\frac {L_0} {\gamma}## , ##\Delta t = \Delta t_0 \gamma##

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part perfectly fine and got the answer of ##L = 1.7## light years. When solving for ##\Delta t## I realized that I didn't have ##\Delta t_0##. No problem! I just solved the equation ##\frac {L_0} v## for ##\Delta t_0## and got a value of ##\frac {40} {9}## years. Since ##\gamma \approx 2.3## I just multiplied ##2.3## by ##\frac {40} {9}## and got a value of ##10.2## years. The actual value is 1.9 years, which happens to also be ##\frac {\Delta t_0} {\gamma}## but I don't see why I'm wrong!

NOTE: I know that there is another solution to this problem and perhaps it is a bit simpler. I would like to focus on what's wrong with my thought process and fix THAT rather than try to adapt to another method of solving.

EDIT: Figured out my mistake :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Figured out my mistake :)
Well done - what was it?

Related to Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR…?

1. What is the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR?

The Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR (Special Relativity) is a common misconception about the principles of Special Relativity, which is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time.

2. What causes the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR?

The Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR is caused by a lack of understanding or misinterpretation of the principles of Special Relativity, which can be complex and counterintuitive.

3. How does the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR affect scientific research?

The Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR can lead to incorrect assumptions and conclusions in scientific research, which can hinder progress and cause confusion in the scientific community.

4. How can the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR be avoided?

The best way to avoid the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR is to have a thorough understanding of the principles of Special Relativity and to critically evaluate any assumptions or conclusions made in scientific research.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR?

Understanding the Fundamental Misunderstanding of SR can help prevent errors in scientific research and promote a deeper understanding of the principles of Special Relativity, which can have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and GPS technology.