Fundamental Cutsets Explained: Get Guided with Examples

• Thread starter noobie!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signals
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fundamental cutsets and the difficulty in understanding it. The speaker requests for guidance and examples on how to find fundamental cutsets. They also mention the definition of a cutset and provide a link for further explanation and resources.
noobie!

Homework Statement

I have difficulty in understanding the meaning of fundamental cutsets.I don't really know how to find the fundamental cutsets.Can someone please guide me.It would be the best if there are any examples and links cited for me.Thanks in advance..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too good on this but I'll have a go trying to help you! :smile:

As far as I understand, a cutset is "a set of edges whose removal would break up the graph into two or more components".

Consider a spanning tree T in a graph G. A fundamental cutset S is a cutset which contains exactly one branch from T (and also some other chords if necessary). http://rbmix.com/math/graphth/grp.php

There's numerous sources around online, try your own Google search, and of course there should be some content in good ol' books. :wink:

Last edited:

Related to Fundamental Cutsets Explained: Get Guided with Examples

1. What are fundamental cutsets?

Fundamental cutsets are a set of branches in a network that, when removed, disconnects the network into two separate parts. They are an important concept in electrical engineering and are used to analyze complex circuits.

2. How are fundamental cutsets different from meshes?

While meshes are a set of closed loops in a circuit, fundamental cutsets are open paths that can be traced from one node to another. They are complementary concepts and are used together to analyze circuits.

3. What is the purpose of finding fundamental cutsets?

Fundamental cutsets help in simplifying complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. They also aid in identifying critical components and understanding the flow of current in a circuit.

4. How are fundamental cutsets calculated?

To calculate fundamental cutsets, we first need to identify all the nodes in a circuit. Then, we trace all possible paths starting from one node to another. The branches that are common to all these paths form the fundamental cutset.

5. Can you provide an example of fundamental cutsets in a circuit?

Consider a simple circuit with three resistors connected in series. The branches between each resistor form a fundamental cutset, as removing any one of them would disconnect the circuit. However, the branches that connect the resistors in parallel do not form a fundamental cutset as the circuit would still be connected even if one of those branches is removed.