Functions and Sets: Understanding Notation and Inverse Functions

In summary, the notation used in sets can be ambiguous and needs to be carefully interpreted. In the case of a function f: A->B, the notation f(V) represents a set of all the values resulting from the function f(v), which are derived from all elements v in the set V. This means that f((-1,2)) = [0,4), f((-1,2]) = [0,4], f^{-1}((-\infty,0)) = i R_{<0}, and f^{-1}(-\infty,0]) = i R_{\leq 0}. It's important to be careful with the use of parenthesis and brackets in order to avoid confusion
sa1988

Homework Statement

ONLY QUESTION 2[/B]
1zgb41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what's going on here. I think the issue is in my own flawed understanding of the notation used in sets generally. So the question states:

[itex] f : R \rightarrow R[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) = x^{2}[/itex]

My understanding thus far is that the cartesian product of two sets X and Y is:

[itex]X \times Y = \{(x,y) : x\in X, y\in Y\}[/itex]

So in the case of [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex], we have for part a):

a) [itex]f((-1,2)) = (-1,2) \times (-1,2) = \big((-1,-1),(-1,2),(2,-1),(2,2)\big)[/itex]

but then part of me wonders if I've got it all wrong and it should really just be [itex]f((-1,2)) = ((1,4))[/itex] ..??

And then for part b:

b) [itex]f((-1,2]) = ...? [/itex]

I don't really understand this at all since it has a square bracket which I'm led to believe means it represents a continuous interval of numbers not including that which is on the side of the curled bracket (according to this - interval notation). If that's the case, I don't know how to perform [itex]X \times Y[/itex] in the way I defined above.

And then parts c) and d) we have stuff to do with [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] which is a whole other thing entirely.

(Just to check - am I right in saying that [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] on a set [itex]Y[/itex] is all the elements [itex]x \in X[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \in Y[/itex] ??)

Or in other words: [itex]f^{-1}(Y) = \{ x \in X : f(x) \in Y \}[/itex] - right?

Hints much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it to be elements of the Cartesian product, too, at first glance. But it's not.

##(-1,2)## is the open interval ##I_1 := \{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -1 < x < 2\}\, ,##
##(-1,2]## is the half-open interval ##I_2:= \{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -1 < x \leq 2\}\, ,##
##(-\infty,0)## is the open interval ##I_3 :=\{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -\infty < x < 0\}\, ,## and
##(-\infty,0]## is the closed interval ##I_4:=\{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -\infty < x \leq 0\}\, .##
Thus the task is to write ##f^\varepsilon(I_i) = \{f(x) \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \,x \in I_i\}## with ##\varepsilon \in \{\pm 1\}\,##.

I don't know where this ambiguous use of parenthesis came from, but it seems to be wide spread. Personally, I prefer to write them as ##I_1=]-1,2[\, , \,I_2=]-1,2]\, , \,I_3=]-\infty,0[\, , \,I_4=]-\infty,0]## but I'm pretty alone with that. Guess we have to live with this bad habit to write open intervals ##(a,b)##.

Likes sa1988
No, you are using the wrong definitions. I will give you the definition.

Let ##f: A \rightarrow B## be a function. Let ##V \subset A## Then we define ##f(V) = \{f(v) | v \in V \}##

sa1988 said:
So in the case of [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex], we have for part a):

a) [itex]f((-1,2)) = (-1,2) \times (-1,2) = \big((-1,-1),(-1,2),(2,-1),(2,2)\big)[/itex]

but then part of me wonders if I've got it all wrong and it should really just be [itex]f((-1,2)) = ((1,4))[/itex] ..??

Hints much appreciated, thanks.

Although you are thinking right here, you should be careful: ##f((-1,2)) \neq (1,4)##

Hint: What is ##f(0)##?

Likes sa1988
fresh_42 said:
I thought it to be elements of the Cartesian product, too, at first glance. But it's not.

##(-1,2)## is the open interval ##I_1 := \{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -1 < x < 2\}\, ,##
##(-1,2]## is the half-open interval ##I_2:= \{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -1 < x \leq 2\}\, ,##
##(-\infty,0)## is the open interval ##I_3 :=\{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -\infty < x < 0\}\, ,## and
##(-\infty,0]## is the closed interval ##I_4:=\{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \, -\infty < x \leq 0\}\, .##
Thus the task is to write ##f^\varepsilon(I_i) = \{f(x) \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \,x \in I_i\}## with ##\varepsilon \in \{\pm 1\}\,##.

I don't know where this ambiguous use of parenthesis came from, but it seems to be wide spread. Personally, I prefer to write them as ##I_1=]-1,2[\, , \,I_2=]-1,2]\, , \,I_3=]-\infty,0[\, , \,I_4=]-\infty,0]## but I'm pretty alone with that. Guess we have to live with this bad habit to write open intervals ##(a,b)##.

Great stuff, so that's that cleared up.

I'm still a little fuzzy on what the ##f(x) = x^2## part means though. I think my weakness is in knowing how to 'read' definitions such as yours and the one below.

Math_QED said:
No, you are using the wrong definitions. I will give you the definition.

Let ##f: A \rightarrow B## be a function. Let ##V \subset A## Then we define ##f(V) = \{f(v) | v \in V \}##

In words I'm interpreting it as, "A set of all the values resulting from the function f(v), which are derived from all elements v in the set V."

So is this correct?

For ##f(x) = x^2##

##f((-1,2)) = (1,4)##
##f((-1,2]) = (1,4]##
##f^{-1}((-\infty,0)) = R_{<0} ##
##f^{-1}(-\infty,0]) = R_{\leq 0} ##

sa1988 said:
So is this correct?

##f((-1,2)) = (1,4)##
##f((-1,2]) = (1,4]##
##f^{-1}((-\infty,0)) = R_{<0} ##
##f^{-1}(-\infty,0]) = R_{\leq 0} ##
Take @Math_QED 's hint! What happened to ##f(0)\,##? ##0 \in ]-1,2[## so shouldn't ##f(0)## be an element of ##f(]-1,2[)\,##? And for which ##x## is ##f(x) = -1\in ]\infty,0[\, ?##

Likes sa1988
fresh_42 said:
Take @Math_QED 's hint! What happened to ##f(0)\,##? ##0 \in ]-1,2[## so shouldn't ##f(0)## be an element of ##f(]-1,2[)\,##?

Heh, yes indeed it should! Bloody obvious too, actually.

So I'll modify the answers to:
##f((-1,2) = (0,4)##
##f((-1,2]) = (0,4]##

The answer is essentially a number line representing all the possible outcomes of running a given set (a "number line", in this case) through the ##x^2## function. Unless I'm still missing something somewhere...

You still left out zero in both intervals!
And remember: ##f^{-1}(y) = \{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \,f(x)=y\}##. So how do you get negative ##y##?

Likes sa1988
fresh_42 said:
You still left out zero in both intervals!
And remember: ##f^{-1}(y) = \{x \in \mathbb{R}\,\vert \,f(x)=y\}##. So how do you get negative ##y##?

Damn those brackets and negative signs. Second attempt...

##f((-1,2)) = [0,4)##
##f((-1,2]) = [0,4]##
##f^{-1}((-\infty,0)) = i R_{<0} ##
##f^{-1}(-\infty,0]) = i R_{\leq 0} ##

An interesting additional question would be:

what is ##f((-1,\frac{1}{2}))##?

Math_QED said:
An interesting additional question would be:

what is ##f((-1,\frac{1}{2}))##?

##[0,1)## ?

which is interesting because it infers that ##f((-1,\frac{1}{n})) = [0,1)## ## \forall## ##n \in R_+##

if I'm not mistaken?

sa1988 said:
Damn those brackets and negative signs. Second attempt...

##f((-1,2)) = [0,4)##
##f((-1,2]) = [0,4]##
Yep.
##f^{-1}((-\infty,0)) = i R_{<0} ##
##f^{-1}(-\infty,0]) = i R_{\leq 0} ##
##i\mathbb{R}## isn't an option here as ##f(x)\, : \, \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. You can only choose among real numbers!

sa1988 said:
##[0,1)## ?
Yes.
which is interesting because it infers that ##f((-1,\frac{1}{n})) = [0,1)## ## \forall## ##n \in R_+##

if I'm not mistaken?
Almost. If you allow ##n## to be positive but arbitrary close to ##0##, then you get a lot of big numbers ##\frac{1}{n^2}##.

Likes sa1988
fresh_42 said:
##i\mathbb{R}## isn't an option here as ##f(x)\, : \, \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. You can only choose among real numbers!

Ah, true. Haha I think I may be doomed. This is the very start of a 3rd year module on topology and I can't even get my head around the basics of working with sets. Funny really because the information theory module I just did was a breeze! It was loosely similar to all this.

In regard to those two which I got wrong, I really can't think how a non-complex real number can be squared with itself to form negative infinity. :oldconfused:

sa1988 said:
In regard to those two which I got wrong, I really can't think how a non-complex real number can be squared with itself to form negative infinity.
I wonder how you'd get any negative number here. (But don't forget the zero again in the last case.)
As to topology, I think a good advise is: Don't take anything out of intuition for granted. Topology is full of mysterious examples of all kind. E.g. you can fill a square by just a line. However, here it's about sets, even if empty.

fresh_42 said:
I wonder how you'd get any negative number here. (But don't forget the zero again in the last case.)
As to topology, I think a good advise is: Don't take anything out of intuition for granted. Topology is full of mysterious examples of all kind. E.g. you can fill a square by just a line. However, here it's about sets, even if empty.

I think I've cracked it:

##f^{-1}((-\infty,0)) = \emptyset ##
##f^{-1}(-\infty,0]) = (0) ##

Likes Logical Dog and fresh_42
Yes, although it might be better to write ##(0)## as ##\{0\}## or to make a kind of joke ##[0,0]##.

Likes Logical Dog and sa1988
fresh_42 said:
Yes, although it might be better to write ##(0)## as ##\{0\}## or to make a kind of joke ##[0,0]##.

Duly noted. Many thanks!

Related to Functions and Sets: Understanding Notation and Inverse Functions

1. What are functions acting on sets?

Functions acting on sets are mathematical operations that associate elements from one set to another. This means that for every input in the first set, there is a unique output in the second set.

2. How do functions act on sets?

Functions act on sets by mapping each element in one set to a corresponding element in another set. This mapping is done based on a specific rule or operation.

3. What is the domain of a function acting on sets?

The domain of a function acting on sets is the set of all possible input values for the function. It is the set from which the function takes its input elements.

4. How is the range of a function acting on sets determined?

The range of a function acting on sets is determined by the set of all output values that are obtained by applying the function to each element in the domain. In other words, it is the set of all possible output elements of the function.

5. What are some examples of functions acting on sets?

Some examples of functions acting on sets include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and composition. Other examples include trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions.