Functional equation f(x)=f(x^2)

• Thread starter cliowa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, if a continuous function f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R} satisfies f(x)=f(x^{2}),\forall x\in\mathbb{R}, then it is an even function and for any real number x, f(x) is equal to f(x^{2^{n}}) for all positive and negative integer powers of 2. Therefore, f is constant for all x in the real numbers.
cliowa
Hello everybody
I'm given a continuous function f (from the real numbers to the real numbers) which I know obeys the following functional equation:
[tex] f(x)=f(x^{2})[/tex]
How can I proof that this function is constant?
I started out like this: Looking at a number x in [tex][0,1[[/tex] I said to myself that:
[tex]f(x)=f(x^{2})=f(x^{4})=f(x^{16})=...\rightarrow f(0).[/tex].
As this relation holds for all x in [0,1[ (looking at [tex]x^{2^{n}} (n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]), it should be true that f(x)=f(-x)=f(0) (the minus because of symmetry, the square). I can also conclude that f(0)=f(1), for f is continuous. But how do I proceed? I would like to show that this function is constant for all x in the real numbers?
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards...Cliowa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If x is a positive real, you also have [tex]f(x)=f(\sqrt{x})[/tex]. Use this for x>1.

shmoe said:
If x is a positive real, you also have [tex]f(x)=f(\sqrt{x})[/tex]. Use this for x>1.
Oh my gosh, I should have gotten that one on my own.
Now it seems clear. Thanks alot, shmoe.
Best regards
Cliowa

If [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/tex] is a continuous function such that [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2}),\forall x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex], then

i. f is an even function since [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2})\Rightarrow f(-x)=f((-x)^{2})=f(x^{2})=f(x)[/tex]

ii. [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2^{n}}),\forall n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex] which can be proved inductively, or simply reasoned much as you have above:

for positive integer n,

[tex]f(x)=f(x^{2})=f(x^{4})=f(x^{16})=\cdots =f(x^{2^{n}})[/tex]

and for negative integer n=-k,

[tex]f(x)=f(\sqrt{x})=f(\sqrt{\sqrt{x}})=f(\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{x}}})=\cdots =f(x^{2^{-k}})[/tex]

Related to Functional equation f(x)=f(x^2)

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation where the unknown variable is a function. This means that instead of solving for a numerical value, we are finding the function that satisfies the given equation.

2. What is the solution to the functional equation f(x)=f(x^2)?

The solution to this functional equation is any function of the form f(x) = c, where c is a constant. This is because when we plug in x^2 for x, we get f(x^2) = f(x) = c, which satisfies the equation.

3. Are there any other solutions to this functional equation?

Yes, there are infinitely many solutions to this functional equation. In addition to the constant function solution mentioned above, there are also many other functions that satisfy the equation, such as exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. How can we determine the specific solution to this functional equation?

In order to determine the specific solution to this functional equation, we need additional information or constraints. This could include boundary conditions, specific inputs and outputs, or other functional relationships involving f(x) and f(x^2).

5. What is the importance of studying functional equations?

Functional equations have numerous applications in mathematics and other fields, such as physics, economics, and computer science. They allow us to model and analyze complex relationships and systems, and provide insights into the behavior of functions and their properties.