Functional Derivatives/Euler-Lagrange

• Thread starter Caramon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary: This is known as the Euler-Lagrange equation and can be used to solve a variety of optimization problems. In summary, to solve this problem, you will need to use the Euler-Lagrange equation to take functional derivatives of T with respect to each function defining it and set them equal to zero. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved to find the conditions for which all of the functional derivatives are zero.
Caramon

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm working on research and I hit a roadblock with something that should be very simple but I can't solve it because it gets so messy. If anyone can let me know how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a functional T:
[tex]
T = \int_{\lambda_{1}}^{\lambda_{2}} sqrt{\sum_{I=1}^{n}} \sum_{i=1}^{d} (\frac{d}{d \lambda}(\sum_{j=1}^{d} s(\lambda) R_{j}^{i}(\lambda)(q_{I}^{j}(\lambda) + a^{j}(\lambda))))^2} d \lambda
[/tex]

I need to take functional derivatives with respect to each function defining T and find when they are all concurrently zero. I believe, the Euler-Lagrange equation is able to do this?

I found what [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{g}}[/tex] is, where g is just a place holder for [tex]s(\lambda), R_{j}^{i}(\lambda), a^{j}(\lambda), q_{I}^{j}(\lambda)[/tex]

Everytime I tried substituting say, df/dR, or df/ds I would get a huge 22-term, with 5 derivatives, impossible equation that I would have to take f with respected to, where [tex]T = \int_{\lambda_{1}}^{\lambda_{2}} f d \lambda.[/tex]

I'm looking at this euler-lagrange form:
[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{d}{d \lambda} (\left \frac{\partial{f}}{\frac{d}{d \lambda}(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}})} \right) = 0 [/tex]
Where, each member [tex]s(\lambda), R_{j}^{i}(\lambda), a^{j}(\lambda), q_{I}^{j}(\lambda)[/tex] are in terms of "x".

Any tips, advice, ideas would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The equation defining T is given in the statement. The Euler-Lagrange equation is as follows: \frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{d}{d \lambda} (\left \frac{\partial{f}}{\frac{d}{d \lambda}(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}})} \right) = 0 The Attempt at a SolutionTo solve this problem, you will need to use the Euler-Lagrange equation to take functional derivatives of T with respect to each function defining it. This can be done by taking the partial derivative of T with respect to each of these functions and then setting them to equal zero. For example, for s(\lambda), the partial derivative would be: \frac{\partial{T}}{\partial{s(\lambda)}} = \int_{\lambda_{1}}^{\lambda_{2}} \left (\frac{d}{d \lambda}(\sum_{j=1}^{d} s(\lambda) R_{j}^{i}(\lambda)(q_{I}^{j}(\lambda) + a^{j}(\lambda))) \right )^2 d\lambdaSetting this equal to zero, we get: \frac{d}{d \lambda}(\sum_{j=1}^{d} s(\lambda) R_{j}^{i}(\lambda)(q_{I}^{j}(\lambda) + a^{j}(\lambda))) = 0 Similarly, you can take the partial derivative of T with respect to each of the other functions defining it, and then set each one equal to zero. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved to find the conditions for which all of the functional derivatives are zero.

Related to Functional Derivatives/Euler-Lagrange

1. What are functional derivatives?

Functional derivatives are a type of mathematical derivative that is used to find the rate of change of a functional, which is a mathematical function that takes in another function as its input. This is in contrast to the traditional derivative, which is used to find the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable.

2. How are functional derivatives related to the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the calculus of variations that is used to find the optimal path of a functional. Functional derivatives are used in the derivation of this equation, as they allow us to find the critical points of the functional.

3. What is the significance of functional derivatives in physics?

In physics, functional derivatives are used to find the equations of motion of a system. They are particularly useful in the field of quantum mechanics, where they are used to find the wave function of a particle.

4. Can functional derivatives be applied to any type of function?

No, functional derivatives are typically used for functions that take in other functions as their input. These include functionals such as the action functional in classical mechanics and the Hamiltonian functional in quantum mechanics.

5. How are functional derivatives calculated?

Functional derivatives are calculated using the variational derivative, which is similar to the traditional derivative but takes into account the functional nature of the function. It is typically calculated using the chain rule and other rules of calculus.