Functional Analysis question

In summary, the Gelfand transform of the idempotent e does not allow us to decompose the Banach algebra A into a direct sum of ideals.
Oxymoron
I have a commutative Banach algebra A with identity 1. If A contains an element [itex]e[/itex] such that [itex]e^2 = e[/itex] and [itex]e[/itex] is neither 0 nor 1 (I think this also means to say that it contains a non-trivial idempotent), then the maximal ideal space of A is disconnected.

Currently I am trying to show this but I am not getting very far. Here is a summary of what I think I may need to show this:

Because the question involves the maximal ideal space I am assuming I have to use the Gelfand transform somewhere. In particular it might be interesting to see what the Gelfand transform of the idempotent element e is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Question: Does the idempotent e allow us to decompose the Banach algebra A into a direct sum of ideals:

[tex]A = I_1\oplus I_2[/tex]

If so, I could write the first ideal as being the set generated by e, ie.

[tex]I_1 = eA = \{x\in A\,:\,x = ex\}[/tex]

and

[tex]I_2 = \{x\in A\,:\,ex = 0\}[/tex]

although I am not too sure about the relevancy of these two ideals, or if they are at all constructible.

Although, what I am sure about is that if I can create such ideals then it is clear that they are disjoint (closed) ideals and that for any element of the Banach algebra, x,

[tex]x = ex+(1-ex)[/tex]

which is an element of each ideal, and so

[tex]A = I_1\oplus I_2[/tex]

The problem remains: Does the idempotent allow me to construct these two disjoint ideals? What is the motivation behind such a decomposition? Does such a decomposition even help me show that the maximal ideals space [itex]\Delta_A[/itex] is disconnected?

Forget functional analysis, it's not important.

Just let A be a ring, m is a maximal ideal iff A/m is a field or at least an integral domain, right? So what do e and (1-e) quotient out to if m is maximal and e is an idempotent (forget non-trivial too; that's an unnecessry proof by contradiction) and what do integral domains (fields) not have?

Matt, thankyou for this new angle for approaching my problem. I must say I understand a little bit more about algebra than I do about functional analysis.

An integral domain is a commutative ring with unity [itex]1\neq 0[/itex] and does not have any divisors of 0. All fields are integral domains.

If M is my maximal ideal in A, then since A is commutative with unity, A/M is also a nonzero commutative ring with unity IF M = A.

Let [itex](a+M)\in A/M[/itex], with [itex]a\neq M[/itex] so that a+M is not the additive identity element of A/M. Suppose that a has no multiplicative inverse in A/M. Then the set

[tex](A/M)(a+M) = \{(b+M)(a+M)\,|\,(b+M)\in A/M\}[/tex]

does not contain 1+M. So [itex](A/M)(a+M)[/itex] is an ideal of A/M.

It is non-trivial because [itex]a\notin M[/itex], and it is proper because it does not contain 1+M. But this contradicts our assumption that M is a maximal ideal, therefore a+M must have a multiplicative inverse in A/M.

This is how one of my proofs from algebra last year went. I am not sure how I will get to say that the quotient'ing' of the two elements e and e-1 will give me disjoint subsets other than one will not contain elements of the other. I believe I am still lacking the crucial information to make that call. I will keep thinking...

Last edited:
Ive been given a hint on how I am meant to do this problem:

Consider the case [itex]A = C(X)[/itex] where X is compact. Then apply this case to [itex]\hat{e}[/itex] (the Gelfand transform of e), and you will want to prove that [itex]\hat{e}[/itex] is neither 0 or 1. The spectral radius formula and the observation that [itex](1-e)^2 = 1-e[/itex] should help.

Im still struggling to show that [itex]\Delta_A[/itex] is not connected. :(

Related to Functional Analysis question

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and linear operators between them. It is often used in the analysis of functions and their behavior as they relate to their inputs and outputs.

2. What are some applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some examples include quantum mechanics, signal processing, optimization, and control theory.

3. What are the basic concepts in functional analysis?

The basic concepts in functional analysis include vector spaces, norms, inner products, linear operators, and functional spaces. Other important concepts include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and dual spaces.

4. How is functional analysis different from other branches of mathematics?

Functional analysis differs from other branches of mathematics in that it deals with infinite-dimensional spaces and functions. It also focuses on the structure and behavior of functions rather than their specific values at certain points.

5. What are some important theorems in functional analysis?

Some important theorems in functional analysis include the Hahn-Banach theorem, the Banach-Steinhaus theorem, the open mapping theorem, and the closed graph theorem. These theorems provide powerful tools for analyzing the properties of linear operators and functional spaces.