Functional analysis book for engineers

In summary, the person is looking for a functional analysis book that is suitable for first year engineering students and covers important results, applications, and intuitive explanations rather than rigorous derivations. They ask for book recommendations and someone suggests "Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications" by Erwin Kreyszig as a more suitable option compared to Walter Rudin's book which requires a lot of real/complex analysis background.
realanony87
Hello, I am currently looking for a book on functional analysis. However most books I have seen assume knowledge real and complex analysis.
But I am looking for a more superficial introduction covering the important results, some examples of applications (mainly to computational problems), and not really derivations of theorems (just intuitive explanations) etc. More like calculus for first year undergrad engineering students where integration and differentiation isn't rigorously defined but nevertheless used extensively later.
Maybe one of you can point out a book for that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the book of Walter Rudin about Functional analysis is suitable

Although I haven't used it, I think this is more likely what you're looking for.

Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications (Paperback)
by Erwin Kreyszig

Rudin is very theoretical, and is going to require a lot of real/complex analysis background.

Related to Functional analysis book for engineers

1. What is the purpose of a functional analysis book for engineers?

A functional analysis book for engineers is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and techniques used in functional analysis, which is a branch of mathematics focused on the study of vector spaces and linear operators. This book is essential for engineers as it helps them understand and apply these concepts in various engineering applications.

2. Who can benefit from reading a functional analysis book for engineers?

Anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of functional analysis and its applications in engineering can benefit from reading this book. This includes engineers, mathematicians, and students pursuing degrees in engineering or mathematics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a functional analysis book for engineers?

A functional analysis book for engineers typically covers topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, inner product spaces, and Hilbert spaces. It may also include discussions on applications of functional analysis in control systems, signal processing, and optimization.

4. Is prior knowledge of mathematics necessary to understand a functional analysis book for engineers?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary to understand a functional analysis book for engineers. This includes knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. Some books may also require a basic understanding of complex analysis.

5. Are there any real-world examples or applications included in a functional analysis book for engineers?

Yes, many functional analysis books for engineers include real-world examples and applications to help readers understand how these concepts are applied in engineering. These examples may include applications in signal and image processing, control systems, and optimization problems.