Function that is open but not closed?

In summary: What is the image of some closed set that contains zero?In summary, a function can be open and closed if its image for any open set is open and its image for any closed set is closed. However, for a function to be only open or only closed, there must be a set in its domain for which the image is not open or closed, respectively. For example, the function f(x)=x^2 is closed but not open, as its image for a closed set containing zero is closed, but its image for an open set containing zero is not open. Conversely, the function f(x)=x is both open and closed, as its image for any open set is open and its image for any closed set is closed.
Unassuming

Homework Statement

An example of a function that is open but not closed, and an example of a function that is closed but not open.

Homework Equations

The function f is open (closed) if f[A] is open (closed) for each open (closed) set A in X.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a topology question and I don't understand it. The only attempt I have made was to guess at a function with < instead of =. If somebody could clarify on the point of what these "functions" look like. Are they the standard, f(x) = x^2 type, or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
They can be "standard." For example, if you give [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] its usual topology, then f(x)=x^2 (as a function from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) is closed but not open.

I was on the right track?

Is f(x) < x , open but not closed? Is any function with < or > open but not closed?

EDIT: I meant, given the usual topology and from R --> R

I have no idea what you mean by "f(x)< x" being "open but not closed". That is neither a function nor a set so "open" and "closed" do not apply.

It might be good for you to think about what a function is first. The problem asks for specific examples of functions.

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea what you mean by "f(x)< x" being "open but not closed". That is neither a function nor a set so "open" and "closed" do not apply.

It might be good for you to think about what a function is first. The problem asks for specific examples of functions.

I have thought about what you said. Is y<x an open function?

EDIT: I am having trouble determining the difference between open, and open function.

Unassuming said:
I have thought about what you said. Is y<x an open function?
The real question is: is y<x a function?

Maybe a better question would be: what exactly do you mean by "y<x"?!

I don't feel that it is a function, but my book says that y^2 + x^2 < 9 is open. It doesn't specify that it is an open function though. I also don't have any other examples.

Is there a function that is open?

EDIT: I won't bother you guys (gals) too much more but here is my last attempt. The
function? f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 < 9 . ??

Last edited:
Unassuming said:
I don't feel that it is a function, but my book says that y^2 + x^2 < 9 is open.
That is not a function. It is, however, an open set.

Consider the simple function f(x)=x. The image of this function for any open set A is the open set A, and the image for any closed set B is the closed set B. f(x)=x is both an open and closed function. So this simple function doesn't work as far as solving your problem.

You need to come up with functions f and g where f is open but not closed and g is closed but not open. What this means is that f(A) is an open set for any open set A in the domain of f, but f(B) is not a closed set for any closed set in the domain of f, and similar for g.

What is it that makes f(x)=x^2 closed but not open? I do not understand how this is different from f(x)=x which is open and closed.

Unassuming said:
What is it that makes f(x)=x^2 closed but not open? I do not understand how this is different from f(x)=x which is open and closed.
Given f(x)=x^2, what is the image of some open set that contains zero?

Related to Function that is open but not closed?

1. What is an open but not closed function?

An open but not closed function is a mathematical function that has an open set for its domain but not a closed set for its range. This means that the function can take on any value within a certain interval for its input, but may not cover all possible values within a certain interval for its output.

2. How does an open but not closed function differ from a closed function?

An open but not closed function differs from a closed function in that a closed function has both a closed set for its domain and range. This means that the function must take on all possible values within a certain interval for both its input and output.

3. What are some examples of open but not closed functions?

Some examples of open but not closed functions include the exponential function, logarithmic function, and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. These functions have an open set for their domain (all real numbers) but may not cover all possible values within a certain interval for their range.

4. What is the importance of open but not closed functions in mathematics?

Open but not closed functions are important in mathematics because they help describe certain types of functions and their behavior. They also play a role in various theorems and mathematical concepts, such as the intermediate value theorem and continuity.

5. How can one determine if a function is open but not closed?

To determine if a function is open but not closed, one can look at the intervals of its domain and range. If the function has an open interval for its domain but a closed interval for its range (or vice versa), then it is an open but not closed function. Additionally, one can also analyze the behavior and properties of the function to determine if it fits the criteria for an open but not closed function.