Function continuous in exactly the irrational points

In summary, the function f(x)=1/n if x is rational in (0,1) (x=m/n for some n not 0) and f(x)= 0 if x is irrational in (0,1) is an example of a function that is continuous at exactly the irrational points in (0,1). This is because f(x) becomes increasingly small at the rationals as the counting goes up, and for any irrational number a, f(a)=0 and for any e>0, there exists N>0 such that n>=N implies |f(x)|<e. However, f(x) is not continuous at the rationals because between every two numbers there is an irrational number, making any interval un
math8
Give an example of a function f:(0,1)-->Reals which is continuous at exactly the irrational points in (0,1).

I think the function f such that f(x)=1/n if x is rational in (0,1) (x=m/n for some n not 0) and f(x)= 0 if x is irrational in (0,1) should work.
I get the reason why f is continuous at the irrationals, but what would be a convincing argument to show that f is not continuous at the rationals?

I mean, there should be an e>0 s.t. for every d>0, we have |x-xo|<d but |f(x)-f(xo)|> or eq. to e. (for every rational xo).

Physics news on Phys.org

no, the function that you have is only continuous at 0. Just think of lim(x->.5) f(x). That limit isn't well defined. What you might want to do is to exploit the countable nature of the rationals. Make it so that f(x) at rationals become increasingly small as the counting goes up.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think f(x)=1/n if x is rational in (0,1) (x=m/n for some n not 0) is such that f(x) at rationals becomes increasingly small as the counting goes up.

math8 said:
Maybe I'm mistaken but I think f(x)=1/n if x is rational in (0,1) (x=m/n for some n not 0) is such that f(x) at rationals becomes increasingly small as the counting goes up.

That's it. Be sure and specify m/n is in lowest terms to make sure f(x) is well defined. Now can you show f(x)->0 as x->a for an irrational number a?

for an irrational a, f(a)= 0

Now, for every e>0 , there exists N>0 s.t.n> or eq.N d implies |f(x)|< e. (because f(x) is either 1/n or 0)

math8 said:
for an irrational a, f(a)= 0

Now, for every e>0 , there exists N>0 s.t.n> or eq.N d implies |f(x)|< e. (because f(x) is either 1/n or 0)

That's not very clear. Ok, e>0. Pick N>1/e. Tell me how to find a neighborhood of a where f(a)<=1/N<e. Hint: consider all of the numbers k/n where n<=N.

math8 said:

Ah, yes you are certainly right. I didn't know what I was thinking. Your solution seems good. To show how it's not continuous at rationals, you just need that between every two numbers there is an irrational number. Since any interval is uncountable and the rationals are countable.

Last edited:

Related to Function continuous in exactly the irrational points

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous in exactly the irrational points?

A function is considered continuous in exactly the irrational points if it is continuous at every irrational number in its domain, but not at any rational number.

2. How is continuity at irrational points different from continuity at rational points?

Continuity at irrational points means that the function is unbroken and has no gaps at irrational numbers, while continuity at rational points means the function is unbroken and has no gaps at all real numbers.

3. Why is it important to study the continuity of a function at irrational points?

Studying the continuity of a function at irrational points helps us understand the behavior of the function in between rational numbers. It also allows us to determine if the function has any points of discontinuity or if it is smooth and continuous throughout its domain.

4. Can a function be continuous in exactly the irrational points but not continuous at all real numbers?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous in exactly the irrational points but not continuous at all real numbers. This means that the function is smooth and unbroken at irrational numbers, but may have points of discontinuity at rational numbers.

5. How do we determine if a function is continuous in exactly the irrational points?

To determine if a function is continuous in exactly the irrational points, we must check if it is continuous at every irrational number in its domain. This can be done by evaluating the limit of the function at each irrational number and comparing it to the value of the function at that point. If the limit and the function value match, then the function is continuous at that irrational point.