Fully Pay Off Your Home Loan in Record Time: ODE Modeling Question Solution

In summary, the problem involves a college graduate borrowing $100,000 at an interest rate of 9% to buy a house and making monthly payments according to a given formula. A differential equation is used to model the problem and is solved numerically to find the time when the loan will be fully paid. However, the discrepancy between the numerical solution and the answer provided in the book may be due to the continuous modeling of the situation instead of discrete payments.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

A college graduate borrows $100,000 at an interest rate of 9% to buy a house. The college graduate plans to make payments at a monthly rate of 800(1+t/120), t is the number of months since the loan was made. Assuming this payment schedule can be maintained, when will the loan be fully paid?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let S(t) be the amount to be paid at some t
S(0) = 100,000
r = interest rate = .09
k = constant payment rate = -(800 + 20t/3)

So the differential equation modeling this problem is:

(i) [tex] \frac{dS}{dt}\right = rS +k[/tex]

The equation is linear and its integrating factor is u = Exp[-rt] so multiplying eq. (i) through by u, rewriting LHS by as the derivative of the product S(t)*Exp[-rt], and integrating across t:

(ii) [tex]S(t)*e^-^r^t=\int-e^-^r^t(800+20t/3)dt + C[/tex]

Integrating the RHS integral by parts letting U = 800+20t/3, dV = -Exp[-rt]:

(iii) S(t)*Exp[-rt] = (1/r)*(800+20t/3) - (20/3r) \int Exp[-rt]dt + C

Evaluating the last integral, and multiplying eq. (iii) through by Exp[rt]:

(iv) S(t) = (1/r)(800+20t/3) + (20/3r^2) + CExp[rt]

Exploiting the initial condition, C = 100,000 - (1/r)(800+20t/3) - (20/3r^2), so:

S(t) = (1/r)(800+20t/3) + (20/3r^2) + (100,000 - (1/r)(800+20t/3) - (20/3r^2))Exp[rt]

So the loan should be paid at some time t` when S(t`) = 0. Since the expression for S(t) has arguments of t as a scalar multiple and raised as an exponent, I solved this problem numerically. Using mathematica, it spits a value of t =~ -131.12 months. The answer provided by my book says t =~ 135.36 months.

I'm pretty stumped on this problem... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Sorry latex doesn't seem to be working for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that what's going on here is that you modeled the situation by a continuous function in your differential equation, while the actual situation involves payments made at discrete time intervals.

To give you an idea of the difference between the two kinds of processes, consider the following sum and integral, both of which involve the same function, f(x) = 1/x.
[tex]\sum_{n = 2}^{10} \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]\int_1^{10}\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

The sum comes out to about 1.929, while the integral comes out to about 2.303. The sum represents a lower bound on the area beneath the graph of y = 1/x.

I suspect that what the author of your text wrote a finite sum that represented all of the payments, and then solved the resulting equation for the time t. I believe that's the reason for the discrepancy between what you got and the answer shown in the book.

Related to Fully Pay Off Your Home Loan in Record Time: ODE Modeling Question Solution

1. How does the ODE modeling approach help in paying off a home loan in record time?

The ODE modeling approach helps to mathematically model the repayment process of a home loan. This allows for the optimization of factors such as interest rate, payment frequency, and loan amount, to determine the most efficient way to pay off the loan in the shortest amount of time.

2. What is the benefit of using the ODE modeling approach compared to traditional methods of paying off a home loan?

The ODE modeling approach takes into account various factors and allows for a more precise and strategic approach to paying off a home loan. It can potentially save the borrower money in interest and also help them pay off the loan faster than traditional methods.

3. Can the ODE modeling approach be applied to any type of home loan?

Yes, the ODE modeling approach can be applied to any type of home loan, including fixed-rate, adjustable-rate, and interest-only loans. It can also be used for both primary residence and investment property loans.

4. Is the ODE modeling approach suitable for all borrowers?

The ODE modeling approach may not be suitable for all borrowers as it requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and financial planning. It is recommended for borrowers who are comfortable with numbers and have a strong desire to pay off their loan quickly.

5. How accurate are the results of the ODE modeling approach in predicting the time it will take to fully pay off a home loan?

The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions used in the modeling process. If all factors are accurately accounted for, the ODE modeling approach can provide a fairly accurate prediction of the time it will take to fully pay off a home loan. However, unexpected changes in interest rates or payment frequency may affect the accuracy of the results.