From unitary operator to hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the evolution operator and the Hamiltonian in the context of quantum mechanics. It is explained that the evolution operator changes a function at a specific time to a function at a later time, while the Hamiltonian operator plays a role in the equation for the partial derivative of the function with respect to time. It is noted that in the case of a time-independent Hamiltonian, the evolution operator can be expressed as a simple formula, but for a time-dependent Hamiltonian, a perturbative series called the Dyson series is used. The conversation then discusses the difficulty in finding the Hamiltonian from a known evolution operator, as there is no simple way to do so and it often involves guessing the correct form of the
KFC
Hi there,
If the evolution operator is given as follows
[tex]U(t) = \exp[-i (f(p, t) + g(x))/\hbar][/tex]

where p is momentum, t is time. Can I conclude that the Hamiltonian is

[tex]H(t) = f(p, t) + g(x)[/tex]

if no, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since you have the hbar in there, that superposition of functions has units of action, so it can't be the hamiltonian, right. Maybe an idea is to taylor expand to linear order in [itex]t[/itex].
[tex]
U=\exp (-i (f(p,t)+g(x))/\hbar )\approx \exp (-i(f(p,0)+\dot{f}(p,0)t+g(x))/\hbar )
[/tex]
This kind of looks like the normal form
[tex]
U=e^{-iHt/\hbar}
[/tex]
Now you have something next to [itex]t[/itex] and divided by [itex]\hbar[/itex], which at least has to have units of energy. What do you think?

Thanks jfy4. So based on your math, [tex]H=\dot{f}(p, 0)[/tex], right? Well, but if the Hamiltonian is time-dependent, should the corresponding evolution operator be
[tex]
U=e^{-i\int Hdt/\hbar}
[/tex]

If that's true, how do we find the Hamiltonian if there should be integral in the exponential ?

jfy4 said:
Well, since you have the hbar in there, that superposition of functions has units of action, so it can't be the hamiltonian, right. Maybe an idea is to taylor expand to linear order in [itex]t[/itex].
[tex]
U=\exp (-i (f(p,t)+g(x))/\hbar )\approx \exp (-i(f(p,0)+\dot{f}(p,0)t+g(x))/\hbar )
[/tex]
This kind of looks like the normal form
[tex]
U=e^{-iHt/\hbar}
[/tex]
Now you have something next to [itex]t[/itex] and divided by [itex]\hbar[/itex], which at least has to have units of energy. What do you think?

I think it is usually quite difficult to set up a [itex]U[/itex] with a time-dependent Hamiltonian, and I agree with the expression you wrote for a time-dependent Hamiltonian, however, assuming what I wrote above in correct ( and that's a big assumption), the hamiltonian is time-independent, since it is
[tex]
H=\frac{\partial f(p,t)}{\partial t}\bigg|_{t=0}
[/tex]
thus no integral expression is required.

Hello KFC,

I'll try to explain the relation between U and H as I see it.

The first notion is the Hamiltonian operator [itex]\hat H[/itex], which plays role in the equation

[tex]
\partial_t \psi = -\frac{i}{\hbar} {\hat H}(t) \psi.
[/tex]

There is an alternative description in terms of an evolution operator. The operator [itex]\hat U(t,t_0)[/itex] is called an evolution operator, if it changes the function at time [itex]t_0[/itex] to a function at later time t:

[tex]
\psi(t) = \hat U(t,t_0) \psi(t_0).
[/tex]

The evolution operator obeys the equation

[tex]
\frac{\partial \hat U}{\partial t}(t) = \hat H(t) \hat U(t) ~~~(*)
[/tex]

In case the Hamiltonian is time-independent, Schroedinger's equation gives [itex]\hat U(t,t_0) = e^{-i\hat H (t-t_0)/\hbar}[/itex].

In case the Hamiltonian is time-dependent, there is no simple formula but there is perturbative series called Dyson series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_series

In your case, you seek Hamiltonian from known U. There is, as far as I know, no simple way to proceed. You can try to guess correct form of H that will recover the equation (*); if you succeed, the expression in front of U is your Hamiltonian.

Warning: the derivative

[tex]
\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} \neq -i/\hbar (\dot f(p,t)) \hat U(t),
[/tex]

except for case when operators f(p,t) + g(x) at different times commute.

Thanks Jano. It clears my doubt about the Hamiltonian and evolution operator. Actually, I found that evolution in some online materials, where they give the evolution operator first and then directly write out the corresponding Hamiltonian. But I didn't see any way to write the Hamiltonian from that evolution operator mathematically. I think they gave it, as you says, by guessing.

Jano L. said:
Hello KFC,

I'll try to explain the relation between U and H as I see it.

The first notion is the Hamiltonian operator [itex]\hat H[/itex], which plays role in the equation

[tex]
\partial_t \psi = -\frac{i}{\hbar} {\hat H}(t) \psi.
[/tex]There is an alternative description in terms of an evolution operator. The operator [itex]\hat U(t,t_0)[/itex] is called an evolution operator, if it changes the function at time [itex]t_0[/itex] to a function at later time t:

[tex]
\psi(t) = \hat U(t,t_0) \psi(t_0).
[/tex]

The evolution operator obeys the equation

[tex]
\frac{\partial \hat U}{\partial t}(t) = \hat H(t) \hat U(t) ~~~(*)
[/tex]

In case the Hamiltonian is time-independent, Schroedinger's equation gives [itex]\hat U(t,t_0) = e^{-i\hat H (t-t_0)/\hbar}[/itex].

In case the Hamiltonian is time-dependent, there is no simple formula but there is perturbative series called Dyson series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_seriesIn your case, you seek Hamiltonian from known U. There is, as far as I know, no simple way to proceed. You can try to guess correct form of H that will recover the equation (*); if you succeed, the expression in front of U is your Hamiltonian.

Warning: the derivative

[tex]
\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} \neq -i/\hbar (\dot f(p,t)) \hat U(t),
[/tex]

except for case when operators f(p,t) + g(x) at different times commute.

No problem. Can you post a link? I am curious what result they found for H.

Jano L. said:
No problem. Can you post a link? I am curious what result they found for H.

Yes, I send you the link via message. Check it out :)

Related to From unitary operator to hamiltonian

1. What is a unitary operator in quantum mechanics?

A unitary operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that preserves the inner product of a quantum system. It is an essential concept in quantum mechanics as it ensures that the total probability of a system remains constant over time.

2. How is a unitary operator related to a Hamiltonian?

A unitary operator and a Hamiltonian are related through the time evolution of a quantum system. The Hamiltonian is the operator that represents the total energy of a system, and the unitary operator describes the evolution of the system over time according to the Schrodinger equation.

3. Can any Hamiltonian be represented by a unitary operator?

Yes, any Hamiltonian can be represented by a unitary operator. This is because both the Hamiltonian and the unitary operator are Hermitian, meaning they are their own adjoint. This allows for the transformation between the two operators.

4. How can the Hamiltonian be derived from a unitary operator?

The Hamiltonian can be derived from a unitary operator by taking the logarithm of the unitary operator. This is known as the logarithm of a unitary operator method, and it allows for the extraction of the Hamiltonian from time evolution operators.

5. What is the significance of the relationship between unitary operators and Hamiltonians?

The relationship between unitary operators and Hamiltonians is significant because it allows us to understand the time evolution of quantum systems. It also provides a way to solve complex quantum mechanics problems by transforming them into simpler problems using unitary operators and Hamiltonians.