From Science Fiction to Science Fact: My Journey After Watching The Martian

• Thread starter thunderbyrd
  • Start date
In summary, "From Science Fiction to Science Fact: My Journey After Watching The Martian" explores the impact and inspiration that the film had on real-life advancements in space travel and technology. The author shares their personal experience of being captivated by the movie and how it sparked their interest in the advancements and possibilities of space exploration. They highlight the scientific accuracy and attention to detail in the film, and how it motivated them to further delve into the world of science and technology. The author concludes by emphasizing the significance of science fiction in driving real-life innovation and progress.
thunderbyrd
...The Martian. after seeing that movie, i found myself developing, for the first time in my life (58 years) an interest in science: astrophysics, the periodic table of elements, astronomy, and i even want to learn something more about higher mathematics. balancing the checkbook is about as sophisticated as i get, at present.
But unlike most of you fine folks here, i have zero higher education except english 101. i barely graduated high school. so if i hang around, i'll have lots of questions.
i was a teenager in the 70's and most of my friends and i read a lot of science fiction: arthur c. clark being probably the most popular. but as life went on, i lost interest in science fiction, until now. now i want to know something abut science fact.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, and Happy Pi Day, everyone!

Welcome Thunderbyrd.
You are not alone. Not everyone here has a PhD. :)