From Naval Officer to PhD Candidate: My Journey in Science and Technology

• Thread starter hygume
  • Start date
In summary, my journey from Naval Officer to PhD Candidate in Science and Technology has been one of perseverance, determination, and passion for learning. After serving in the Navy for six years, I decided to pursue my love for science and technology by enrolling in a PhD program. Through rigorous coursework, research, and collaboration with experts in the field, I have been able to deepen my understanding of these subjects and make valuable contributions to the scientific community. My experience in the Navy has provided me with strong leadership skills and a disciplined work ethic, which have been invaluable in my pursuit of a PhD. I am grateful for the opportunities and challenges that have shaped my journey and am excited to continue making meaningful contributions to the world of science and technology.
hygume
I'm a 25 year old Naval Officer with a BS in Cyber Operations and an MPS in Technology Management. Starting a MCS from UIUC this fall and will have it complete by DEC20.
I'm a voracious reader and self learner and have been tutoring others in various levels of calculus and cryptography since 16.

Currently working on learning Diff EQ and Linear Algebra with the goal of being able to understand Gravitation - MTW as well as Modern Classical Physics - Thorne.
I've been given the opportunity to test into a PhD EE program at Purdue or NPS starting in 2021. I'll be taking the tests in MAY20. I'm absolutely terrified.

My hobbies include signals analysis, high current applications of the Lorentz force, and reading about black holes.

Word on the streets is y'all are a bunch of geeks and nerds on this forum so I'm incredibly excited to be a part of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! and some of us are robots too!

Jedi

Likes hygume
hygume said:
I'm a 25 year old Naval Officer with a BS in Cyber Operations and an MPS in Technology Management.
Welcome to the PF, and thank you for your service! :smile:

Likes hygume and jedishrfu
Back