From Kepler's law to gravitation force

In summary, Newton deduced from Kepler's laws the theory of gravitation. Specifically, he used the properties of conic sections to show that gravitational force must look like '1/(r^2)'.
Mesmerized
Hi all! It is often said that Newton deduced from Kepler's laws the theory of gravitation. Particularly from (T^2)/(a^3)=const for differnet planets he deduced that gravitational force must look like '1/(r^2)'. I can also do that by writing F=ma and integrating it in spherical coordinates, but back when Newton lived there was nothing like integrals and differentials as I know.

Any ideas or info about how Newton came to that conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mesmerized said:
Hi all! It is often said that Newton deduced from Kepler's laws the theory of gravitation. Particularly from (T^2)/(a^3)=const for differnet planets he deduced that gravitational force must look like '1/(r^2)'. I can also do that by writing F=ma and integrating it in spherical coordinates, but back when Newton lived there was nothing like integrals and differentials as I know.

Any ideas or info about how Newton came to that conclusion?

For a circular orbit it's fairly trivial to show that the gravitational force produces a T^2/r^3 relationship. I'm not sure about working it the other way, though. In general, the procedure is as follows:
[tex]F=\frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r^2}=m_2 a[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Gm_1}{r^2}=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Gm_1}{r^2}=\frac{(\frac{2 \pi r}{T})^2}{r}=\frac{4 \pi ^2 r}{T^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Gm_1}{4\pi^2}=\frac{r^3}{T^2}[/tex]

For ellipses the derivation is similar, but a bit more complicated. I imagine you could work backward from the above finding and work out that the force should be a 1/r^2 relationship with a bit of imagination.

Mesmerized said:
I can also do that by writing F=ma and integrating it in spherical coordinates, but back when Newton lived there was nothing like integrals and differentials as I know.
Ah, but Newton invented them for the purpose of doing physics. (For all I know, it may have been for this exact problem :wink:)

Mesmerized said:
but back when Newton lived there was nothing like integrals and differentials as I know.

You might want to look up who invented them. :wink:

LOL! thanks, just checked and was surprised that actually he was one of the founders of infinitesimal calculus, I was sure it was developed not until 19th century, thanks for pointing that! And thanks to 'Nabeshin' too for detailed formulas

Nabeshin, your argument works the other way too.

For a circular orbit, a = v^2/r (that's universal, nothing to do with gravitation). Plug in

[itex]v=\omega r = \frac{2\pi r}{T}[/itex]

and obtain

[itex]a = \frac{4 \pi^2 r}{T^2}[/itex]

On the other hand, from Kepler's law, T^2 ~ r^3, so

[itex]F = ma \propto \frac{4 \pi^2 }{r^2} [/itex]

Generalizing from this is just a matter of induction (and courage!).

-----
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
Newton did not use calculus to derive Kepler's laws from his own. He relied on what we today would consider very arcane properties of conic sections in his proof. Feynman examined Newton's proof and found it took for granted these properties that were not at all obvious. So, Feynman created his own "elementary" proof, which is a bit more accessible, but still does not use calculus. This is the famous "lost lecture" on gravitation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman’s_Lost_Lecture If you can find the audio for this lecture, it's worth a listen.

Cantab Morgan said:
Newton did not use calculus to derive Kepler's laws from his own. He relied on what we today would consider very arcane properties of conic sections in his proof. Feynman examined Newton's proof and found it took for granted these properties that were not at all obvious. So, Feynman created his own "elementary" proof, which is a bit more accessible, but still does not use calculus. This is the famous "lost lecture" on gravitation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman’s_Lost_Lecture If you can find the audio for this lecture, it's worth a listen.
wow, so does that mean he derived those laws based on some philosophical thinking and geometry, or did I untderstand wrongly the phrase 'did not use calculus'?

Related to From Kepler's law to gravitation force

1. What are Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's laws of planetary motion are three scientific laws proposed by the astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century. These laws describe the motion of planets around the sun and are considered fundamental principles in the field of astronomy.

2. How do Kepler's laws relate to the concept of gravitation force?

Kepler's laws are based on the idea that planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun. These laws can be explained by the concept of gravitation force, which states that any two objects with mass will attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's laws in the field of astronomy?

Kepler's laws have played a crucial role in the development of modern astronomy. They have provided a better understanding of the motion of planets and have also helped in the discovery of new planets and exoplanets. These laws have also been used to make accurate predictions about the movements of celestial objects.

4. How did Kepler's laws contribute to the development of Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Kepler's laws were essential in the development of Newton's law of universal gravitation. In fact, Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis, was crucial in helping Newton derive his law of gravitation.

5. Are Kepler's laws still relevant in modern astronomy?

Yes, Kepler's laws are still relevant in modern astronomy. They are used to study the motion of not just planets, but also other celestial objects such as moons, comets, and asteroids. These laws have also been applied to understand the behavior of objects beyond our solar system, such as binary star systems.