From Algebra 1 through Pre-calculus?

In summary, even if you put in the 10 to 15 hours a week for 8 months, you would only cover about 30% of the material in Algebra 1.
Muz9
Do you think it is possible to educate oneself from Algebra 1, through Pre-calculus? Given about 10 to 15 hours of serious self-study a week for 8 months?

I just want an honest opinion on what my chances may be, assuming I'm of average proficiency.

And by “educate ones self”, I mean sit down with books and work through the problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's Algebra 1? Is it starting from the introduction of variables, or...o_O

It is based on the US high school curriculum, it is fairly basic. I am starting off at this level because I forgotten pretty much everything from secondary school math (you know what they say, use it or lose it) and want to refresh/relearn everything again because I want to take on Calculus classes hopefully next fall.

Let's work it out. Normally, this would be 180 days of instruction per year, with an hour of classroom and (say) an average of 40 minutes for homework. This is four years worth of work, so it's 100 minutes x 180 days x 4 years = 1200 hours.

10 hours per week for 8 months is 350 hours. So you are talking about going through the standard curriculum in less than 30% of the time. Without an instructor.

I'll let you decide if this sounds possible to you or not.

There are several things to take into account, most high schoolers don’t study efficiently (1 year for Algebra 1? I finished a 800 page Algebra 1 book within two weeks ). Secondly, I already finished most of that stuff previously but just forgot so much of it so it will be mostly refreshing.

It sounds like you are looking for validation of a decision you have already made, not advice.

Muz9 said:
I finished a 800 page Algebra 1 book within two weeks.

I hope you retained everything. As Woody Allen once said, "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It's about Russia."

Vanadium 50 said:
It sounds like you are looking for validation of a decision you have already made, not advice.

I hope you retained everything. As Woody Allen once said, "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It's about Russia."

You could say so, but I am/was kind of looking for if it is realistic or not or even perhaps if there are other autodidacts out here who did the same thing. :smile:

Related to From Algebra 1 through Pre-calculus?

1. What is the purpose of learning algebra, and how does it connect to pre-calculus?

Algebra is the study of mathematical symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols. It is important for developing problem-solving skills and understanding mathematical concepts. Pre-calculus builds upon the principles learned in algebra, with a focus on functions, trigonometry, and advanced algebraic concepts.

2. What is the difference between algebra 1, algebra 2, and pre-calculus?

Algebra 1 introduces basic algebraic concepts and operations, including solving equations, graphing linear equations, and working with polynomials. Algebra 2 expands on these concepts and introduces more complex topics such as quadratic equations, logarithms, and rational functions. Pre-calculus covers advanced algebraic concepts and introduces topics such as trigonometry, exponential functions, and analytic geometry.

3. How does studying algebra and pre-calculus prepare students for higher level math courses?

Studying algebra and pre-calculus helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in higher level math courses. It also provides a strong foundation of mathematical concepts and techniques that are needed for more advanced topics, such as calculus and beyond.

4. What are some real-world applications of algebra and pre-calculus?

Algebra and pre-calculus are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, finance, and computer science. They can be used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and geometric relationships. For example, engineers may use algebra and pre-calculus to design structures or calculate the trajectory of a projectile.

5. How can students effectively study and practice algebra and pre-calculus?

To effectively study and practice algebra and pre-calculus, students should review class notes, complete practice problems, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to regularly review and practice previously learned concepts to build a strong foundation. Using online resources, such as interactive tutorials or practice quizzes, can also be beneficial for reinforcing understanding and identifying areas that need improvement.