Pre-Cal to Calc 1: Which Option is Best?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's plans for taking calculus 1 and the options they have for preparing for it. The general consensus was to wait until the fall and brush up on algebra/pre-calculus over the summer rather than taking a mathematics course. This was seen as a better option even for those who are confident in their algebra skills.
Berry77
Hi everyone, I am new here. I know this has been asked before so forgive me, but ima ask again. :)
So I'm n pre cal right now and it's going fairly well. I think I'll pass with a B. Next I need to take calculus 1..then later calc 2. So I have 2 options. 1. I can take calculus 1 this summer. I hear having a solid foundation in algebra is critical to calc 1 success. And I'm not confident in my algebra skills. So option 2. Take some algebra prep/refresher course offered this summer and just take calculus 1 in the fall. Which would you choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, I think your best bet would be to wait until Fall and brush up on your algebra/pre-calc over the Summer.

This is the way:
Mondayman said:
IMO, I think your best bet would be to wait until Fall and brush up on your algebra/pre-calc over the Summer.
Taking a Mathematics course in the summer is a very bad idea. Studying something like Algebra on your own or reviewing some Calculus 1 material during that time instead, is a very good idea.

Even if you were very good in algebra, trig and precalculus, taking calculus over the summer would still be a very bad idea.

Related to Pre-Cal to Calc 1: Which Option is Best?

1. What is the difference between Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1?

Pre-Calculus is an advanced high school level math course that covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and basic functions. Calculus 1 is the first college-level calculus course that builds upon these topics and introduces concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Which course should I take if I want to major in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field?

If you are planning on majoring in a STEM field, it is highly recommended to take Calculus 1. This course is a prerequisite for many higher level math and science courses and will provide a strong foundation for your future studies.

3. Can I take Calculus 1 without taking Pre-Calculus?

It is possible to take Calculus 1 without taking Pre-Calculus, but it is not recommended. Pre-Calculus covers important topics and skills that are necessary for success in Calculus 1. It is important to have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and functions before diving into Calculus 1.

4. Is it better to take Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1 in high school or college?

There is no right answer to this question as it depends on the individual and their learning style. Some students may benefit from taking these courses in high school as they may have more time to dedicate to the material. However, taking these courses in college can also be advantageous as you will have access to professors and resources that may not be available in high school.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in these courses. Your school may offer tutoring or study groups, and there are also online resources such as Khan Academy and YouTube tutorials. It is important to also utilize your textbook, class notes, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding of the material.