Frobenius Method again

In summary, the second solution to the differential equation is y2(x) = y_1(x)lnx + x^{\lambda_1}\sum b_n x^n. The method to obtain this solution is found in a book from 1958 called Advanced calculus for engineers.
matematikawan
Assume that x=0 is a regular singular for x2y" + xp(x)y' + q(x)y = 0
and the indicial equation has equal roots [tex]\lambda = \lambda_1 = \lambda_2[/tex]

The first solution is alway known to be of the form [tex]y_1(x) = x^{\lambda_1}\sum a_n x^n [/tex]

Although tedious, I know how to obtain the second linearly independent solution using the Lagrange reduction of order, y2(x) =u (x)y1.

I think it is well known that the second solution will be of the form
[tex]y_2(x) = y_1(x)lnx + x^{\lambda_1}\sum b_n x^n [/tex]

The book I'm refering, Schaum Outline Series in Differential Equation (cheap and direct to the method :smile: ) gives the following method to compute y2.

[tex]y_2(x) = \frac{\partial y_1(x,\lambda)}{\partial\lambda} |_{\lambda=\lambda_1} \\\ (*)[/tex] .

As you all know the book never proved any of their theorem/method.

My question is why (*) is a solution for the DE? Any proof for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember the method well enough to do this for you but I think its sortof similar to how you prove that a linear constant coefficient equation with a repeated root of the characteristic polynomial will have a second solution given by t times the first. I know I have seen a very good exposition on this topic in Hildebrand's Advanced Calculus for Engieneers. I would highly recommend that book for a lot of stuff and that section was very clear - but I didn't work it through well enough to internalise it and be able to answer your question from the top of my head.

Thanks b17m4p.
There is a copy in our library. I will try to get it. But it looks quite an old edition 1958 ?

QA303 HIL 1949
Advanced calculus for engineers
Hildebrand, Francis Begnaud.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, [1958]

If only I have the note with a click of mouse! :smile:
Wikipedia ? MIT courses ?

Related to Frobenius Method again

1. What is the Frobenius Method and how is it used in science?

The Frobenius Method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model physical systems and predict their behavior.

2. Can you explain the steps involved in using the Frobenius Method to solve a differential equation?

The first step is to assume a power series solution to the differential equation. Then, substitute the series into the equation and equate coefficients of like powers. This will result in a recurrence relation that can be used to find the coefficients of the series. The series can then be substituted back into the original equation to solve for the unknown function.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using the Frobenius Method?

The Frobenius Method is typically used for second-order linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It can also be used for higher-order equations and non-linear equations, but these may require additional techniques.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Frobenius Method?

One limitation is that the method may not always produce a solution. This can happen when the recurrence relation does not have a finite number of terms or when the series does not converge. Additionally, the method can be time-consuming and may not be suitable for certain types of differential equations.

5. How does the Frobenius Method compare to other methods for solving differential equations?

The Frobenius Method is a powerful tool for solving certain types of differential equations. However, there are other methods such as separation of variables and Laplace transforms that may be more efficient or suitable for different types of equations. It is important for scientists to be familiar with a variety of methods and choose the most appropriate one for a given problem.