Fringes from Different Interfering Wavelengths

In summary, the problem involves coherent light with a wavelength of 597nm passing through two narrow slits and creating an interference pattern on a screen 3.00 m away. The first-order bright fringe is observed at a distance of 4.84 mm from the center of the central bright fringe. The question asks for the wavelength of light where the first-order dark fringe will be observed at the same point on the screen. The equations for constructive and destructive interference are used to solve the problem, with the approximation that sinθ≈tanθ and the third equation (λ/d=x/L) also being attempted. However, the correct approach is to use the constructive interference formula to find d and then the destructive interference formula to find the
cecenn

Homework Statement

The questions is...
Coherent light with wavelength 597nm passes through two very narrow slits, and the interference pattern is observed on a screen a distance of 3.00 m from the slits. The first-order bright fringe is a distance of 4.84 mm from the center of the central bright fringe.

For what wavelength of light will the first-order dark fringe (the first dark fringe next to a central maximum) be observed at this same point on the screen?

But I am doing something wrong because I keep getting an incorrect answer.
Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Homework Equations

dsinθ=mλ --constructive interference
dsinθ=(m+1/2)λ --destructive interference
λ/d=x/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I should use the equation for constructive interference: dsinθ=mλ
And I am pretty sure you can use the approximation that sinθ≈tanθ
But doing this, and looking at the triangle, I am getting confused as to where to put the values. I think that "m" would be 1, but I am not sure if that is correct.

I also tried using the third equation: (597E-3)*(3E6)/(4.84E3)=370, but this answer is not correct either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the constructive interference formula to find d and then use the destructive interference formula to find the new wavelength. There are two separate experiments here.

equation you are using is of DIFFRACTION. I think you should use the one of interference , ie,
ß=λD/d ; ß=fringe width , λ=wavelength,D-distance to screen,d-distance b/w slits.

Related to Fringes from Different Interfering Wavelengths

1. What are fringes from different interfering wavelengths?

Fringes from different interfering wavelengths refer to the pattern of light and dark bands that are produced when two or more light waves of different wavelengths overlap and interfere with each other. This phenomenon is known as interference and is commonly observed in experiments using light.

2. How are fringes from different interfering wavelengths created?

Fringes from different interfering wavelengths are created when two or more coherent light sources, such as lasers, are directed towards a surface or detector. The light waves from each source interfere with each other, resulting in the formation of fringes.

3. What is the significance of fringes from different interfering wavelengths?

Fringes from different interfering wavelengths are important in the field of optics as they can provide information about the properties of light and the materials it interacts with. They are also used in various applications, such as in interferometers for measuring small changes in distance, and in spectroscopy for analyzing the composition of materials.

4. How can the spacing of fringes from different interfering wavelengths be changed?

The spacing of fringes from different interfering wavelengths can be changed by altering the distance between the light sources, changing the angle at which the light waves intersect, or by using different materials or mediums through which the light travels.

5. Can fringes from different interfering wavelengths be observed with visible light only?

No, fringes from different interfering wavelengths can be observed with any type of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet light. However, the spacing and visibility of the fringes may vary depending on the wavelength of the light used.