Understanding Wavelengths and Fringes

Each bright fringe is differed by a wavelength, so one wavelength is equal to 2π. Therefore, the answer should be represented by 2π. In summary, the correct answer for the center of a bright fringe in a Young's double-slit experiment is 2π.
hidemi
Homework Statement
In a Young's double-slit experiment the center of a bright fringe occurs wherever waves from the slits differ in phase by a multiple of:

the answer is 兀.
Relevant Equations
d * Δy/L = m*λ
I think the answer is E because each bright fringe is differed by a wavelength, in other words, one wavelength is equal to 2π.
(For example, the first bright fringe is d * Δy/L = 1*λ.)

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: In a Young's double-slit experiment the center of a bright fringe occurs wherever waves from the slits differ in phase by a multiple of:

the answer is 兀.
Relevant Equations:: d * Δy/L = m*λ

I think the answer is E because each bright fringe is differed by a wavelength, in other words, one wavelength is equal to 2π.
(For example, the first bright fringe is d * Δy/L = 1*λ.)
I'm thinking the correct answer is "A". Or maybe "G", but I can't be sure. (Because the multiple choice answers are not visible in your post...) :wink:

berkeman said:
I'm thinking the correct answer is "A". Or maybe "G", but I can't be sure. (Because the multiple choice answers are not visible in your post...) :wink:
sorry ,The multiple choices are :
A) π/4, B) π/2 C) 3π/4 D) π E) 2π
The correct answer is D, however I think it should be E.

Related to Understanding Wavelengths and Fringes

1. What are wavelengths and fringes?

Wavelengths refer to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. Fringes, on the other hand, are the patterns of light and dark bands that are created when light passes through narrow slits or is diffracted by a diffraction grating.

2. Why is it important to understand wavelengths and fringes?

Understanding wavelengths and fringes is crucial in various fields such as physics, optics, and astronomy. It allows us to study the properties of light, measure distances, and analyze the structure of objects.

3. How do wavelengths and fringes relate to each other?

Wavelengths and fringes are closely related as the distance between fringes is directly proportional to the wavelength of light. This relationship is known as the Grating Equation and is used to calculate the wavelength of light.

4. Can wavelengths and fringes be seen with the naked eye?

No, wavelengths and fringes cannot be seen with the naked eye. They are too small to be visible to the human eye. Special instruments such as spectrometers and diffraction gratings are used to observe and measure them.

5. How can I use the information in this guide to conduct experiments?

This guide provides a basic understanding of wavelengths and fringes and their applications. With this knowledge, you can design and conduct experiments related to light, diffraction, and spectroscopy. It also includes tips and techniques for accurate measurements and data analysis.