Frictionless cylinder yet chain wraps around it

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a chain wrapping around a frictionless cylinder. There are two possibilities - either the axle of the cylinder is frictionless and the chain can "roll" with it, or the surface of the cylinder is frictionless and the chain would just slide around it without moving the cylinder. The full problem mentioned in the conversation involves a tension force and an angle of wrap, and it is assumed that there is sufficient friction on the surface of the cylinder for the chain to carry it. However, in real life, there has to be friction for the chain to wrap around a cylinder. It is suggested that analyzing the problem with friction and then specializing to the "ideal" case would be a better approach.
pitchharmonics
Could a chain wrap around a frictionless cylinder?

My theory is that for a chain to wrap around a cylinder, there has to be a certain amount of friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, two possibilities. It's likely that they meant that the _axle_ of the cylinder is frictionless - that is, that the cylinder is free to turn on its axis. It seems that usually in problems with cylinders & chains the assumption is that there is sufficient friction on the _surface_ of the cylinder - that is, that the chain doesn't slide, but "rolls" with the cylinder. The second possibility is that they actually meant that the surface is frictionless, in which case, of course, the chain would just slide around the cylinder without moving the cylinder. I find that rather unlikely, though.

You might be interested in this. There's something called belt friction (usually taught in a statics course). If the coefficient of static friction for a pulley-belt interface is [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex] and the tensions on the pulley are (different) [tex]T_{1}[/tex] and [tex]T_{2}[/tex] and the angle of wrap is [tex]\beta[/tex] then the larger tension (say T2) is related to T1 by

[tex]T_{2} = T_{1}e^{\mu_{s}\beta}[/tex]

Cheers
Vivek

Well, how can the tensions be different if there is no net torque on the axle (the chain is not accelerating)? Also, I don't get the impression this is an advanced statics problem.

Ah, right, this is an abbreviated version of the post. The full problem referred to by the poster is, I believe, described in a thread further down that has something about yanking out hair in the title. If you have insights on that problem or if you can confirm my conclusions there, do post, because the problem seems fairly weird to me the way it's set up.

Duarh said:
Well, how can the tensions be different if there is no net torque on the axle (the chain is not accelerating)? Also, I don't get the impression this is an advanced statics problem.

Ah, right, this is an abbreviated version of the post. The full problem referred to by the poster is, I believe, described in a thread further down that has something about yanking out hair in the title. If you have insights on that problem or if you can confirm my conclusions there, do post, because the problem seems fairly weird to me the way it's set up.

As far as mathematics and principles are concerned, there is no difference between a chain and a rope. Both are modeled as continuous mass distributions and are totally equivalent. There are two possibilities as has already been pointed out earlier: (1) the cylinder can rotate about an axis passing through the center of mass of the cylinder without friction in the chain-cylinder interface (if this is to be believed then it is equivalent to saying that the chain "carries" the cylinder with it...there is no relative motion of the chain and the pulley); (2) the cylinder can rotate about the axis with friction betwen the chain and the cylinder.

In real life, there has to be friction for wrap. Clothesline tacks are a common example. pitchharmonics says "My theory is that for a chain to wrap around a cylinder, there has to be a certain amount of friction." A certain amount of friction indeed...but where do you want it to be?

Cheers
vivek

My impression is that the tacit assumption in these problems is almost always that there is sufficient friction on the surface of the cylinder for whatever tension force exerted by the rope/chain to be matched by an identical static friction force, so that an explicit mention of 'frictionless' usually applies to the axle.

That's because a chain wrapped around a fixed-axis cyllinder cannot really by any conceivable mechanism 'carry the pulley with it' - make the cyllinder turn - unless it exerts a contact (frictional) force on it. So, if 'frictionless' actually referred to the surface of the cylinder, most 'frictionless' problems would become fairly meaningless since you could just as well have a rigid, smooth stick in place of the cylinder for all the difference that it made (not to mention that the problems would then be soo aphysical)

Yes and so I think a better way (if one has time of course) would be to analyze these problems with friction and then specialize to the "ideal" cases.

Cheers
vivek

Related to Frictionless cylinder yet chain wraps around it

1. How is it possible for a frictionless cylinder to have a chain wrapped around it?

It may seem counterintuitive, but a frictionless surface does not necessarily mean that no force can act upon it. In this case, the chain is able to wrap around the cylinder due to the force of tension, which is created by the pull of the chain's weight.

2. What is the significance of this phenomenon in physics?

This scenario is significant because it demonstrates the concept of centripetal force, which is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In this case, the tension force acts as the centripetal force, keeping the chain moving in a circular path around the cylinder.

3. Can this phenomenon occur in real life?

Yes, this phenomenon can occur in real life. It is often seen in amusement park rides, such as the "Round Up" or "Gravitron," where riders are pressed against the walls as the ride spins around a central axis.

4. How does the size of the cylinder affect the chain's movement?

The size of the cylinder does not have a significant effect on the chain's movement as long as the cylinder is large enough to prevent the chain from slipping off. The chain will continue to wrap around the cylinder at the same rate, regardless of its size.

5. Does the speed of the chain change as it wraps around the cylinder?

Yes, the speed of the chain does change as it wraps around the cylinder. According to the law of conservation of energy, the speed of the chain will increase as it moves closer to the center of the cylinder due to the decrease in radius. This means that the chain will have a higher velocity at the top of the cylinder compared to the bottom.