Frictional force homework help

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by frictional force on a block attached to a spring. The conservation of energy principle is used to solve for the velocity and kinetic energy of the block. The final answer is determined to be -1.4 J.
c4iscool

Homework Statement

A 20-kg block on a horizontal surface is attached to a light spring (force constant = 8.0 kN/m). The block is pulled 10 cm to the right from its equilibrium position and released from rest. When the block has moved 2.0 cm toward its equilibrium position, its kinetic energy is 13 J. How much work is done by the frictional force on the block as it moves the 2.0 cm?

do I need a coefficient of friction to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are told what the blocks kinetic energy is with friction, so if you solve for what it should be without friction then the difference is the work done by the frictional force...no coefficient of friction needed.

ok, I get that but how would I find the velocity to get the kinetic energy?

ke = 1/2 M*V^2

or am I still not getting it?

c4iscool said:
ok, I get that but how would I find the velocity to get the kinetic energy?

ke = 1/2 M*V^2

or am I still not getting it?
You need to apply the total conservation of energy principle. Are you familiar with it?

ummm...no. I'm about to google it tho, but please explain.

c4iscool said:
ummm...no. I'm about to google it tho, but please explain.
In the absence of non conservative forces other than friction, you should discover that [tex]\Delta K + \Delta U + W_{friction}= 0[/tex]. Now you must apply it.

I got it. I think it works out to be -1.4J

c4iscool said:
I got it. I think it works out to be -1.4J
Looks right. Even your minus sign is correct. I slipped on mine, sorry, I should have said [tex] \Delta K + \Delta U - W_{friction} = 0[/tex]

Related to Frictional force homework help

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the interaction between the two surfaces and can be affected by factors such as the texture, weight, and speed of the object.

2. How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force is calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much friction is present between two surfaces, while the normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object.

3. What are the different types of frictional force?

There are three types of frictional force: static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object when it is already in motion. Rolling friction is the force that occurs when an object rolls on a surface.

4. How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force can either help or hinder an object's motion. In some cases, friction can be useful, such as when it allows us to walk or drive a car. However, in other cases, it can be a hindrance, causing objects to slow down or come to a stop. Frictional force can also cause wear and tear on surfaces and objects.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce frictional force, such as using lubricants, smoothing surfaces, or using wheels or ball bearings to reduce the area of contact between surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight or speed of an object can also help to decrease the amount of frictional force present.