Frictional force and largest angles

In summary, the 17kg mass will not slide down an incline with an angle of 33 if the static and kinetic friction are both 0.7. However, if the static and kinetic friction are both 0.59, then the mass will slide down the incline.
missyjane
A 17 kg block is at rest on an incline with angle 33. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.7 and0 0.59, respectively. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

1) What is the frictional force actin on the 17kg mass?
2) What is the larges angle the incline can have so that the mass does not slide down the incline?

for 1, I thought Ff was just the coefficient of static friction (0.7) times the normal force, but that apparently isn't right.

for 2, I don't have a clue...

Physics news on Phys.org
missyjane said:
for 1, I thought Ff was just the coefficient of static friction (0.7) times the normal force, but that apparently isn't right.

Yes, it is right. How did you calculate it?

I did Ff=(0.7)(17)(9.8)cos 33=97.806; however, when I put the answer into our homework server, it says the answer is wrong.

Oh, good grief, I was wrong. You have [itex]F_f=\mu_SN\cos(\theta)[/itex] only when the static frictional force is a maximum. Sorry about that.

Since you can't tell a priori that [itex]F_f[/itex] is equal to its maximum value here, you have to draw a free body diagram, sum the forces, and apply Newton's 2nd law to find [itex]F_f[/itex].

Ok, I found the frictional force by using Ff=mg*sin33...it gave me 90.73686 (the right answer-yay!). So, how do I find the max angle? I think I have to use tangent, but I don't know on what or where or anything!

missyjane said:
Ok, I found the frictional force by using Ff=mg*sin33...it gave me 90.73686 (the right answer-yay!). So, how do I find the max angle? I think I have to use tangent, but I don't know on what or where or anything!
You will have three vectors that must sum to be zero. Those are Ff+N+Fg=ma=0.

If you write out each component individually, you should come up with a system that is easy to optimize :smile:

Alex

Have you managed to find the maximum angle? A simple three-step process:
1. Set the friction force in terms of cos theta equal to the antiparallel aspect of the weight in terms of sin theta.
2. Divide both sides by cos theta and rearrange to find tan theta.
3. Take the inverse tan of both sides.

:confused: antiparallel aspect?

Wow! I wonder why I've never been taught this! (I hope it's not wrong...) The maximum angle possible for an incline before a block placed on it will slide is just the inverse tan of the coefficient of static friction. This is independent of the mass of the block or even the mass of the planet you are on. I'm surprised I've never been taught that (maybe I was snoozing).

missyjane said:
:confused: antiparallel aspect?
Parallel but in the opposite direction.

If you set the x-axis parallel to the incline, then the friction force is also parallel to the x-axis. The x-component of the weight is then antiparallel to this friction force - parallel to the x-axis, but in the opposite direction to the friction.

you rock! Thanks soooooo much!

Related to Frictional force and largest angles

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects, which create a force that opposes the motion of one object against the other.

2. How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force can either help or hinder motion. It can help by providing the necessary grip and traction to move objects, such as in the case of car tires on the road. However, it can also hinder motion by creating resistance and slowing down objects, such as when trying to push a heavy object across the ground.

3. What factors affect the strength of frictional force?

The strength of frictional force depends on several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. The greater the surface roughness and weight, the stronger the frictional force will be.

4. What is the largest angle at which an object can rest without sliding due to frictional force?

The largest angle at which an object can rest without sliding is called the angle of repose. This angle depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact, as well as the shape and weight distribution of the object.

5. How can the frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces in contact. Lubricants help to reduce the surface roughness and allow objects to slide more easily against each other. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or reducing the weight of objects can also decrease the strength of frictional force.