Friction Problem - block on an incline (serway)

In summary, the block will not slip down the inclined plane if the force applied is at 40.0° to the horizontal.
aero_zeppelin
Hi, I've been trying to nail this problem but I'm not sure if I'm stating it correctly:

1. "A block weighing 75.0 N rests on a plane inclined at 25.0° to the horizontal. A force F is applied to the object at 40.0° to the horizontal, pushing it upward on the plane. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the block and the plane are, respectively, 0.363 and 0.156. (a) What is the minimum value of F that will prevent the block from slipping down the plane?"

Homework Equations

Regarding the first question "a", this is what I have stated:

Ʃ Fx = Fsin15° + fs - (75 sin 25°) = 0
Ʃ Fy = n - ( 75 N cos 25°) + F cos 15° = 0

Having n= normal force , fs = static friction = (μs)(n) , μs = coefficient of static friction, and remembering the incline is the x-axis (using sin for it) and the y-axis perpendicular to it (using cos).

The Attempt at a Solution

From ƩFy , we get n = ( 75 N cos 25°) - F cos 15°

Then from ƩFx, we get fs = (75 sin 25°) - Fsin15°

Considering fs = (μs)(n), we substitute and get:
(μs)(n) = (75 sin 25°) - Fsin15° and then we substitute n and get:

(μs) ( 75 N cos 25° - F cos 15°) = (75 sin 25°) - Fsin15°

Solving for F I get F = 40 N or something, but the book says it's F= 8.05 N.

Maybe I'm stating the sum of forces above wrong... Please help! Thx!

Attachments

• dasd.jpg
    dasd.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,287
Physics news on Phys.org
You are summing forces nicely, but you sined when you should have cosined, and v.v., when calculating the horiz and vert components of F.

aero_zeppelin said:
Ʃ Fx = Fsin15° + fs - (75 sin 25°) = 0
Ʃ Fy = n - ( 75 N cos 25°) + F cos 15° = 0

Hi aero_zeppelin, I think you've got some trig mistakes in your initial equations. Specifically, check your Fsin15° and Fcos15° terms.

EDIT: Yeah, what PhanthomJay said. Also, I think it helps with trig mistakes to always take your angles w.r.t. the same axis (x-axis in this case). Then all your x-terms will have cosines and y-terms sines.

Last edited:
lol, yeah, that's what I said, but the book recommends using that kind of axes when working with inclines. Actually, I've been working other similar problems with that method and I've gotten correct results. Don't know what the mistake is here...

Ok, so I changed the cos and sin to their "usual" axes and got F = 70.5 N XD

Any other idea?? thanks for the help!

aero_zeppelin said:
lol, yeah, that's what I said, but the book recommends using that kind of axes when working with inclines.

No no, I meant that the x-axis should be defined parallel to the incline, along the direction of motion, as you did initially, but that you should take your angles w.r.t. that axis. You took a couple angles w.r.t. the y-axis (perpendicular to the incline), which isn't wrong, but mistakes are easier to make that way I think.

I ran the numbers using the following equations and I'm getting 8.05 N just like your book says it should be.
[tex]\sum F_x = F\cos 15^{\circ} - 75\cos 65^{\circ} + \mu F_N = 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_y = F\sin 15^{\circ} - 75\sin 65^{\circ} + F_N = 0[/tex]
Your procedure is right: just solve one equation for the normal force and plug into the other, then solve for F.

shoot... yeah, I just realized my mistake there... loll thanks a lot for the help!

Related to Friction Problem - block on an incline (serway)

1. What is friction and how does it affect the block on an incline?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces. In the case of a block on an incline, friction acts in the opposite direction of the block's motion, making it more difficult for the block to move down the incline. This is because the weight of the block is perpendicular to the incline, causing a normal force that creates friction.

2. How do you calculate the friction force on the block?

The friction force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials of the block and the incline, and the normal force can be calculated using trigonometry.

3. Is friction the only force acting on the block?

No, there are other forces acting on the block such as the weight of the block, the normal force, and the force due to gravity. These forces all contribute to the overall motion and acceleration of the block on the incline.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the friction force?

The angle of the incline affects the normal force, which in turn affects the friction force. As the angle of the incline increases, the normal force decreases, causing the friction force to decrease as well. This means that the block will be easier to move down the incline at steeper angles.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces come into contact with each other. However, the amount of friction can be reduced by using smoother or more slippery materials or by applying a lubricant between the surfaces.