Friction Measurement of Rotating Equipment

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining CG offset and friction in rotating machinery through torque and speed data. The participants also raise two questions - the increase in amplitude of the sine wave at higher speeds and the decrease in friction with increasing speed. They also mention potential factors such as varying friction coefficients and aerodynamic drag.
KLoux
Hello,

I have two questions that I have been pondering for some time without arriving at an acceptable explanation. The questions require a little bit of background information:

I work on rotating machinery that operate across a range of (relatively slow) speeds, and generally has a significant imbalance. Some of the things that are interesting to us are the distance from the CG to the axis of rotation, and friction. To determine CG offset and friction, we record the torque required to rotate the machine at a constant speed. By repeating this test at several speeds, we are able to create a friction model for the device that is a function of speed.

We can accurately measure the current through the motor driving the axis, and use this to estimate the torque (by multiplying by the torque constant). We simultaneously record speed and position data.

We assume that the torque vs. time curve for a constant speed test will be sinusoidal, due to the CG moving about the axis. This sinusoid will be offset from zero due to friction. We also assume that we know the frequency of the sinusoid, because we know the speed at which the machine is rotating. We can then fit a sinusoid to the torque data using linear regression techniques. For each speed at which we test, we get a friction torque (vertical offset of the sinusoid) and CG torque (amplitude of the sinusoid). The fits are visually very good, and generally have coefficient of determination above 0.99.

Currently, we average the CG torque values for all of the different speeds to arrive at our "accepted" CG torque (and then knowing the mass, we can compute the CG offset). This brings me to question #1: At higher speeds, the amplitude of the sine wave (CG offset) increases. From 15% of the top speed to 100% of the top speed, we generally see about a 15% increase in the amplitude. Can anyone offer an explanation for this? Our current model does not include this effect, so we are stuck with averaging, which gives us the correct torque value for only one speed.

For our friction model, we use a coulomb term (constant) and a viscous term (proportional to velocity). With the friction torque vs. speed data, we can fit a curve (straight line) to get these values. Generally the results are OK (coefficient of determination above 0.9 and visually some small errors in the model). If I include an aerodynamic term (proportional to the square of velocity), the results improve quite a bit, with r^2 generally above 0.98. The aerodynamic term is always small and negative. So the faster the machine rotates, the more the friction drops away from our predicted coulomb + viscous friction model. This is question #2: Any explanation for this phenomenon?

Thanks in advance,

Kerry

Ignoring any variation in torque constant, is there anything else I'm missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only other things I can think of are that the friction coefficient is not constant, or that there is some form of aerodynamic drag. However, I'm not sure how either of these would affect the amplitude of the sinusoid.

Related to Friction Measurement of Rotating Equipment

1. What is friction measurement?

Friction measurement is the process of quantifying the amount of resistance or force that opposes the motion of rotating equipment. It is an important aspect of machinery maintenance and performance evaluation.

2. Why is friction measurement important for rotating equipment?

Friction can affect the efficiency and performance of rotating equipment, leading to increased energy consumption and potential equipment failure. Accurate friction measurement can help identify and address any issues to ensure optimal operation and prolong the lifespan of the equipment.

3. How is friction measured in rotating equipment?

Friction can be measured using various methods such as torque sensors, strain gauges, and temperature sensors. These instruments can be attached to the rotating equipment to measure the forces and temperatures, which can then be used to calculate the friction coefficient.

4. What are some common causes of friction in rotating equipment?

Some common causes of friction in rotating equipment include inadequate lubrication, misalignment, worn bearings, and contamination. Other factors such as temperature, speed, and load can also contribute to the frictional forces.

5. How can friction measurement be used for maintenance and troubleshooting?

Friction measurement can provide valuable information about the condition and performance of rotating equipment. By tracking changes in friction over time, maintenance can be scheduled proactively to prevent equipment failure. Also, analyzing friction data can help troubleshoot issues and identify potential areas for improvement in the equipment design or operation.