Friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir

In summary, the formula for head loss is k(V^2)/2g, with k = 1 when water is discharged from a pipe to a reservoir. If the water is released into the atmosphere, the head loss due to exit may not be necessary to include and the value of k is still likely to be 1. This is because there is no reason to expect any eddy currents in this scenario.
foo9008

Homework Statement

we know that the formula of head loss is k(V^2) /2g , the k = 1 when the water is discharged from pipe to reservoir ...However , how if the water from pipe is released into atmosphere ? is it necessary to include the head loss due to exit ? if so , is the k still =1 ? in the example , the author take k=1 when water is released to atmosphere from pipe , is he correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 170.PNG
    170.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 597
  • 171.PNG
    171.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 172.PNG
    172.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 173.PNG
    173.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 596
foo9008 said:
No, can you try to answer and reply?
Greg's post is automated. It just bumps your thread back up to somewhere it is more likely to get noticed. He will not have seen your reply.
I see no reason why k should be anything but 1 here. k not equal to 1 represents losses caused by messy flows at the junction. On egress to a wide reservoir or to atmosphere, there is no reason to suppose any eddy currents.

haruspex said:
Greg's post is automated. It just bumps your thread back up to somewhere it is more likely to get noticed. He will not have seen your reply.
I see no reason why k should be anything but 1 here. k not equal to 1 represents losses caused by messy flows at the junction. On egress to a wide reservoir or to atmosphere, there is no reason to suppose any eddy currents.
Is the head loss due to water discahrged from pipe to reservoir same as head loss due to water discharged from pipe to atmosphere? The k is 1?

foo9008 said:
Is the head loss due to water discahrged from pipe to reservoir same as head loss due to water discharged from pipe to atmosphere? The k is 1?
I thought I just answered that. What in my answer did you not understand?

haruspex said:
I thought I just answered that. What in my answer did you not understand?
I am not native emglish speaker... Just to be sure, the k is. 1 when water discharged from pipe to atmosphere??

foo9008 said:
I am not native emglish speaker... Just to be sure, the k is. 1 when water discharged from pipe to atmosphere??
Yes.

Likes foo9008

Related to Friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir

1. What is friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir?

Friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir refers to the energy that is lost as water flows from a pipe into a reservoir. This loss occurs due to the friction between the water and the walls of the pipe, as well as any fittings or changes in direction along the pipe.

2. How is friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir calculated?

The calculation for friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir takes into account factors such as the pipe diameter, length of the pipe, flow rate, and the roughness of the pipe surface. This can be done using mathematical formulas or through the use of charts and tables.

3. What are some factors that can affect friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir?

Some factors that can affect friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir include the velocity of the water flow, the length and diameter of the pipe, the roughness of the pipe surface, and any changes in direction or fittings in the pipe.

4. How does friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir impact water flow?

Friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir can have a significant impact on water flow. As the water loses energy due to friction, the pressure and velocity of the water decrease, which can result in lower flow rates and reduced efficiency of the overall system.

5. How can friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir, including using larger diameter pipes, smoothing out any rough surfaces, minimizing changes in direction or fittings, and reducing the water flow velocity. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the pipes can also help to reduce friction loss over time.