Fluid Mechanics: Fluid Transfer Between Two Reservoirs at Different Heights

In summary, fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids and their applications. Fluid transfer between two reservoirs at different heights occurs due to pressure differences and is influenced by factors such as height, viscosity, and pipe size. The flow rate can be calculated using equations or measured directly. Real-world applications of fluid transfer include hydroelectric power generation, irrigation, and water supply systems.
ShaunG123
Homework Statement
Fluid mechanics question
Relevant Equations
Bernoulli's Equation
A reservoir supply tunnel transfers water from a high level storage reservoir via a 200mm diameter pipe to a lower intermediate reservoir. The total height difference between the free surfaces of each reservoir is 76 m. The pipe is 700 m long and the coefficient of friction, Cf is 0.009. The loss factor at entry (k) is 0.5 and at exit is 1.0. Determine:
the head losses in metres
the mean fluid velocity and flow rate at the instant illustrated

I have done a full solution but not used Bernoulli's equation this is what i need help with.

Physics news on Phys.org
So show us what you've done so far please.

please see attached my attempt

Attachments

• fluids 3.docx
    20.9 KB · Views: 172
ShaunG123 said:
please see attached my attempt
Could you please convert it to a PDF file instead? Word files are problematic for sharing from non-trusted sources. You can use a free PDF writer like PrimoPDF to do the conversion, for example. Thanks. :smile:

updated

Attachments

• fluids 3.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 212
Likes berkeman
ShaunG123 said:
updated
This looks mostly correct to me, but, in the simplification of the equations, I think there might be an algebra error. Please check it over.

I also need help with this question if anyone has a solution using Bernoulli's equation.

wtplowry said:
I also need help with this question if anyone has a solution using Bernoulli's equation.
Welcome to PF.

We do not give out solutions to homework/schoolwork questions. We can offer tutorial help if you show us your best efforts to work toward the solution yourself.

Please start a new thread in this forum, and fill out the sections of the Template for the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at the Solution. If you do that, you will get good help here. This old thread is now closed.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their properties, behavior, and motion.

2. What is fluid transfer between two reservoirs at different heights?

Fluid transfer between two reservoirs at different heights is the movement of a fluid from a higher level to a lower level due to the force of gravity. This process is also known as fluid flow or fluid transfer by gravity.

3. How does the height difference between two reservoirs affect fluid transfer?

The height difference between two reservoirs affects fluid transfer by creating a pressure difference between the two points. The higher the height difference, the greater the pressure difference, and the faster the fluid will flow from the higher reservoir to the lower one.

4. What factors affect the rate of fluid transfer between two reservoirs?

The rate of fluid transfer between two reservoirs is affected by several factors, including the height difference between the two reservoirs, the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter and length of the connecting pipe, and any obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.

5. How is fluid transfer between two reservoirs at different heights calculated?

The rate of fluid transfer between two reservoirs at different heights can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the height difference, fluid density, and the velocity of the fluid. Other equations, such as the continuity equation and the Darcy-Weisbach equation, can also be used to calculate fluid transfer in more complex scenarios.